TITLE Language Specialist, International Leadership and Training Center (ILTC)
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 2611
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Assistant Vice President, International Programs/Director, ILTC
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Associate Vice President for International Programs
The Language Specialist, ILTC teaches English language courses for speakers of other languages, oversees curriculum and assessment design, develops instructional materials, and supervises other language instructors for the ILTC. The Language Specialist, ILTC assists in establishing and maintaining relationships with ILTC clients and potential clients, assists in the organization of customized training programs, and serves as a liaison between the ILTC and clients and potential clients in China.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Education: A Master’s degree with 18 credit hours of TESOL (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages) or TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) courses is required.
Experience: At least three years of experience teaching English to speakers of other languages is required. Experience in translation and interpretation is required. At least one year of experience working in a University setting is required; work experience in a Chinese institution of higher education is preferred. Demonstrated professional involvement in the field as evidenced by presenting at conferences and/or publishing in TESOL/TESL-related journals is preferred.
Skills: A native Chinese speaker or equivalent fluency in reading and writing Chinese is required. Effective verbal and written communication skills are required. Effective interpersonal skills are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures and backgrounds is required.
Other: A valid Missouri driver’s license and proof of automobile insurance as required by the state of Missouri is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Teaches English language courses including English for Academic Purposes and English for Special Purposes for speakers of other languages.
2. Develops curriculum and instructional materials for English courses for speakers of other languages and provides guidelines and coordination to educators and instructors in developing curricula and conducting courses.
3. Assists the Assistant Vice President, International Programs/Director, ILTC in the development of customized training program proposals, including course content and budget, for potential clients who will need English instruction for speakers of other languages.
4. Provides tutoring and instruction in English specifically tailored to language used in classes taught by ILTC faculty to visiting international students and professionals.
5. Serves as liaison between the ILTC and clients and potential clients in China, providing language translation and cultural guidance to assist in the development and implementation of successful training programs.
6. Provides Chinese-language translation of marketing materials and written course content and interpretation of live presentations by other instructors as needed.
7. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and the development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
8. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the supervisor.
9. Helps to assure the overall success and growth of the ILTC by performing other duties as assigned.
The Language Specialist, ILTC is supervised by the Assistant Vice President, International Programs/Director, ILTC.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES