TITLE China Programs Specialist, International Leadership and Training Center (ILTC)
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 2610
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Assistant Vice President, International Programs/Director, International Leadership and Training Center (ILTC)
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Associate Vice President, International Programs
The China Programs Specialist provides a variety of academic and student support services for the ILTC. The China Programs Specialist serves as a liaison between the ILTC and international students by providing language translation, cultural guidance, and logistical support. The China Programs Specialist assists in the development of customized training and educational programs, organizes and presents course content, advises students, and coordinates with academic units to implement ILTC programs. Continuation of this position is dependent on sufficient revenue being generated by ILTC programs.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Master’s degree is required.
Experience: At least one year of administrative experience in a university setting is required; work experience in a Chinese institution of higher education is preferred. Experience living in China for at least three years is required. Experience in translation and interpretation is required. Experience teaching Chinese language and culture is required.
Skills: Verbal and written fluency in both English and Mandarin Chinese is required; effective verbal and written communication skills are required. Effective interpersonal skills are required. Knowledge of both U.S. and Chinese culture and customs is required. An understanding of both U.S. and Chinese higher education administration and finance is required. Demonstrated skill using Microsoft Office applications is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: A valid Missouri driver’s license is required. The scope of the position requires the ability to work weekends and flexible hours.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assists in the creation of customized educational and training programs, including curriculum development, course content, and budget for potential clients.
2. Serves as the primary liaison between the ILTC and international students, provides language translation, cultural guidance, and ongoing support to help students adapt culturally and have a safe and successful academic experience at Missouri State University.
3. Provides academic advisory support for ILTC students enrolled in for-credit programs, in coordination with the appropriate academic department.
4. Provides customer service and logistical support to ILTC program participants by hosting visiting groups from international universities and private enterprise and making arrangements for professional development activities and cultural experiences.
5. Coordinates program arrangements with administrative and academic departments.
6. Provides Chinese language translation of marketing materials, written course content, and interpretation of live presentations by other instructors as needed.
7. Provides support with the application, admission, enrollment, and orientation of international students participating in ILTC programs.
8. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
9. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the supervisor.
10. Helps ensure the overall success and growth of Missouri State by performing all other duties as assigned.
The China Programs Specialist, ILTC is supervised by the Assistant Vice President, International Programs/Director of the ILTC.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED OCTOBER 2016