TITLE English Language Institute Special Programs Director
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 2602
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Executive Director of International Enrollment Management
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Associate Vice President for International Programs
The ELI Special Programs Director oversees all aspects of special program planning and execution, including assisting in identifying special programs for proposals, program planning and recruitment, overseeing program execution, and program review.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A master’s degree in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) or a master’s degree in a related field with at least eighteen hours of TESL coursework is required.
Experience: At least three years of experience teaching in an Intensive English Program (IEP) at an accredited U.S. university is required. Experience in IEP curriculum design and program development is required. Overseas teaching experience at the university level is required. Professional involvement in the field as demonstrated by having presented at a conference and/or publishing in TESOL-related journals is required.
Skills: The ability to effectively use Microsoft Office applications and to conduct research using the internet is required. Effective time management, organizational, and interpersonal skills are required. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. Demonstrated leadership skills are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required. Fluency in a second language is required.
Other: Foreign travel may be required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assists the Executive Director of International Enrollment Management in identifying and selecting special programs that best fit the mission and talent pool of the ELI by assisting in writing program proposals that clarify stakeholders’ expectations and needs, define program scope and outcomes, define program policies and procedures, and include a program budget that reflects the scope of the program.
2. Conducts pre-execution planning and recruitment activities by overseeing the creation of promotional materials for each special program, maintaining updated information on the special programs web pages, recruiting program participants and maintaining connections with established stakeholders.
3. Works with the Executive Director to plan programs including appointing and training academic coordinators for each program, creating curriculum and materials with the assistance of the academic coordinators, hiring and training instructors, and overseeing the work of the Special Programs Coordinator to ensure that logistical planning is completed.
4. Communicates with the Admissions Specialist and the SEVIS Specialist about participant admission information and immigration regulations.
5. Oversees program execution in conjunction with program coordinators by submitting reports as needed to stakeholders about program progress, responding to participant concerns and resolving other program issues, conducting classroom and co-curricular activity observations, and meeting regularly with the Executive Director to report on program progress.
6. Teaches in special programs as schedule permits.
7. Conducts After Action Reviews for each program by creating and executing pre- and post-program surveys and interviews for program participants, stakeholders as applicable, instructors, and other program team members, such as chaperones, drivers, office staff, etc., conducting budget analysis with the Executive Director and Special Programs Coordinator, assessing program policies and procedures for program improvement, and writing a post-program summary and assessment report for the Executive Director, the academic coordinator, and the Special Programs Coordinator.
8. Serves as the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA) special programs accreditation coordinator.
9. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the Executive Director.
10. Facilitates a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
11. Supports the overall success of ELI Special Programs by performing all other duties as assigned.
The ELI Special Programs Director is supervised by the Executive Director of International Enrollment Management and supervises the Special Programs Coordinator, full- and part-time instructors on assignment in Special Programs, part-time office staff, and student employees.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES