TITLE Regional Small Business Consultant
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 2564
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director, Small Business and Technology Development Center
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Associate Vice President for Economic Development
The Regional Small Business Consultant is responsible for providing consultation services to small businesses in Missouri on a wide range of topics including marketing, finance, including loan proposals and accounting, management, personnel, and business and strategic planning to promote growth, expansion, innovation, increased productivity, and management improvement. The Regional Small Business Consultant helps coordinate training seminars and classes designed to meet specific needs of small business owners and managers in the region.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor's degree in Business or a related field is required. A Master’s degree in Business Administration is preferred.
Experience: At least three years of experience is required in progressively responsible positions that include experience in business consultation, marketing, finance (specifically financial projections), and management. Experience with manufacturing, technology, services, or wholesale business is preferred. Successful experience in operating and managing a business and/or owning a small business is preferred.
Skills: Strong verbal and written communication skills including public speaking and presentation abilities are required. Excellent interpersonal skills, organizational management skills, and problem solving abilities are required. Flexibility, resiliency, and the ability to operate with minimal daily guidance is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Scope: The position requires regular travel throughout the Southwest Missouri region utilizing one’s own transportation. A valid Missouri driver’s license is required and automobile insurance sufficient to meet University requirements. The position also requires evening and occasional weekend work. Occasional overnight, out-of-town travel is also required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides an effective consultative service to small businesses by establishing cooperative one-on-one relationships with business owners and managers, recommending viable options or identifying resources to address their stated and/or assessed needs, and conducting follow-up sessions with the management of participating small businesses to determine if the stated objectives have been met.
2. Assists in the achievement of economic impact goals as established by the Small Business Administration, the Missouri Small Business and Technology Development Centers’ administrative office, and the Missouri State University SBTDC related to job creation and retention, dollar amounts of loans and investments secured, increased sales, the number of businesses acquired or started, and jobs created or retained; specific economic impact goals may differ annually.
3. Assists with the administration of training programs to meet specific needs of small businesses in the region by identifying prospective participants, arranging for the use of facilities and equipment, assisting with the printing and distribution of brochures and printed materials, serving as a representative of the Small Business and Technology Development Center during training sessions, assisting with workshop facilitation, and collecting and processing fees and associated funds and billings.
4. Markets educational offerings and promotes the mission of the Missouri Small Business and Technology Development Center, including providing presentations and radio and news releases, meeting with legislators and other leaders, and using social media and other platforms appropriate for the programs and audiences.
5. Assists in the achievement of program income goals as established by the Missouri Small Business and Technology Development Centers’ administrative office and the SBTDC office at Missouri State University.
6. Establishes positive working relationships with local and regional economic development organizations, critical community governments, chambers of commerce and business stakeholders, develops and maintains essential partnerships with local and regional organizations, governments, county extension offices, and key leaders, and effectively communicates the Missouri Small Business and Technology Development Center’s value to stakeholders.
7. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
8. Actively participates in professional development opportunities to acquire effective and innovative teaching skills, continuously improves skills and increases research-based knowledge, and remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the supervisor.
9. Contributes to the overall success of the Small Business and Technology Development Center by maintaining a positive outlook and a high personal standard of excellence and performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Regional Small Business Consultant is supervised by the Director of the Small Business and Technology Development Center at Missouri State University and may supervise a Graduate Assistant.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED OCTOBER 2016