TITLE Director of Marketing and Promotions, Access and Outreach
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 2559
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Associate Provost for Access and Outreach
The Director of Marketing and Promotions, Access and Outreach is responsible for the planning, development, and implementation of a wide variety of promotional and marketing initiatives for Access and Outreach. The Director of Marketing and Promotions works collaboratively with Access and Outreach staff and academic departments in the development of strategies to effectively market higher education to nontraditional students.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor's degree with an emphasis in Graphic Design, Communication, or Marketing is required.
Experience: At least three years of experience in either publication design or promotions and marketing is required. One year of experience in web design and maintenance is required. Extensive experience in desktop publishing using Macintosh graphic design software including such software as Adobe Creative Suites (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) is required. Experience in html coding, cascading style sheets, and Dreamweaver is required. Experience in copywriting editing is required. An understanding of and experience using Google Analytics reporting, search engine optimization and PHP functionality is preferred. Experience using web content management software and experience in social media and email marketing is preferred.
Skills: Strong verbal and written communication skills are required. Excellent managerial and interpersonal skills are required. Project management and strong organizational skills for controlling work flow are required. The knowledge and ability to build a website from start to finish are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Effort: The scope of the position occasionally requires working additional hours to complete jobs and to attend press checks.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Successfully promotes Access and Outreach programs and services by developing unique themes that are designed to communicate and market those programs to the public, assisting with writing and editing copy, as needed, for all promotions, ensuring that the theme and copy are consistent and reflected in all appropriate Access and Outreach websites, catalogs, handbooks, brochures, flyers, posters, news releases, newspaper advertising, and similar promotional publications, and assisting in distributing promotional materials to the various constituencies.
2. Manages and coordinates the production of all promotional/publications projects, on the web and in print, for Access and Outreach, within the specified budget, by making appropriate project assignments to the staff and freelance writers, artists and photographers according to criteria such as talent, skills level, experience and expertise, ensuring production schedules and quality standards/expectations are met, and exercising supervision of the professional full-time staff, contractors, and student assistants.
3. Facilitates the completion of printing jobs by being knowledgeable of the capabilities of both on- and off-campus printing services, determining the best printing service to complete the project, working closely with the University's Printing Services Manager and/or the University’s Procurement Office to secure bids from commercial vendors for projects contracted off-campus, and providing project milestones and deadlines.
4. Oversees the organization, design, functionality and security of Access and Outreach websites and ensures accessibility to all users.
5. Ensures Access and Outreach websites comply with University guidelines, are engaging and well-structured, and provide current information by regularly reviewing web content, updating or deleting outdated information, and adding new information.
6. Enables the Access and Outreach staff and their associates to take advantage of additional promotional and advertising opportunities by keeping abreast of social media marketing.
7. Develops a comprehensive marketing plan of promotional activities for Access and Outreach programs and submits a proposed budget to support that plan.
8. Develops an effective and efficient staff by recruiting and hiring qualified applicants, providing training in departmental operations and individual duties, assigning work projects as appropriate, supervising work activities, and providing evaluations of work performance.
9. Ensures new publications and marketing staff are in compliance with the University Identity Standards for the proper and consistent use of the University seal and logo.
11. Develops a departmental operating budget annually and successfully operate the Marketing and Promotions unit within the limitations and restrictions of that budget.
12. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
13. Maintains competency and professional currency through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Associate Provost for Access and Outreach.
14. Contributes to the overall success of Access and Outreach by performing these duties in a manner consistent with the mission, goals, and stated values of Access and Outreach and performing all other essential duties as assigned.
The Director of Marketing and Promotions, Access and Outreach is supervised by the Associate Provost for Access and Outreach and exercises supervision of a staff of professional, clerical and support personnel and student assistants.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED SEPTEMBER 2020