TITLE Academic Advisor-Marketing, Recruitment, and Retention Specialist
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 2494
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR School Director, Nursing
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Dean, McQueary College of Health and Human Services
The Academic Advisor/Marketing, Recruitment, and Retention Specialist for the Nursing school assists pre-nursing student with the development of academic schedules, develops retention strategies for current pre-nursing students, visits with prospective students, meets with those students interested in changing their majors to Nursing, and serves as SOAR advisor for the Nursing school. The Academic Advisor/Marketing, Recruitment, and Retention Specialist helps to achieve the school enrollment and recruitment goals and objectives by establishing and maintaining effective communication with targeted high schools and community colleges, developing and implementing recruitment activities, such as Nurse For a Day, Simulation Day, and pre-nursing group sessions for campus visits. The Academic Advisor/Marketing, Recruitment, and Retention Specialist develops retention and engagement activities for pre-nursing students, such as the Pre-Nursing Picnic, Simulation Day, and other informational/retention activities. The Academic Advisor/Marketing, Recruitment, and Retention Specialist maintains the Nursing website, and the school's Facebook page, develops the nursing newsletter each semester, coordinates the development of collateral and advising materials, manages social media for the school, and assists with school marketing initiatives including press releases and events.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor's degree is required; a Master’s degree is preferred.
Experience: At least one year of experience in working with the public is required. Experience in recruitment, marketing, public relations, and/or advisement at the university/college level is preferred.
Skills: Excellent interpersonal skills are required. Strong verbal and written communication skills are required. The ability to work effectively with a diverse student population is required. Computer literacy is required.
Other: The scope of this position requires occasional overnight travel and the ability to lift and carry materials and equipment of awkward shape weighing up to 40 pounds. The position requires standing for long periods of time at trade shows, presentations, and job fairs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Advises pre-nursing undergraduate students by assisting them in the development of academic schedules and retention strategies appropriate for their stated educational goals.
2. Advises transfer students regarding transfer course equivalencies and the development of academic schedules.
3. Meets with prospective students and their parents in scheduled group sessions throughout the year.
4. Serves as the nursing advisor for Student Orientation and Registration (SOAR) every summer, conducting both the advising session for students and parents and conducting individual academic advising.
5. Contributes to regional and local awareness of the Nursing school by making informational presentations to high schools and community colleges and at other recruiting events.
6. Represents the school at various all-campus fairs and recruiting events including, but not limited to, the Majors Fair, New Student Festival, and Spring and Fall Showcases.
7. Plans and implements recruiting events for high school students including Nurse for a Day each semester and other associated events.
8. Manages the school's communication and marketing efforts by coordinating school marketing with other University-wide marketing efforts, developing the school newsletter each semester, developing and maintaining the school's pre-nursing database, managing the school's social media initiatives including, but not limited to, Facebook and LinkedIn, developing and maintaining school marketing and academic materials, and attending Web Press training seminars and serving as the webmaster for the school's web page.
9. Serves as the school liaison with the McQueary College of Health and Human Services Living Learning Community.
10. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
11. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the school director.
12. Contributes to the overall success of the school by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Academic Advisor/Marketing, Recruitment, and Retention Specialist is supervised by the school director and supervises the part-time academic advisor in the Nursing school.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED SEPTEMBER 2016