TITLE Director, Agency for Teaching, Leading and Learning
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 2437
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Department Head, Counseling, Leadership and Special
The Director, Agency for Teaching, Leading, and Learning (ATLL) is responsible for
administering, supervising, and evaluating all activities supported by ATLL. The Director
is responsible for the design, organization, implementation, and evaluation of current and
future projects and support initiatives funded by the Missouri Department of Elementary
and Secondary Education (DESE) and/or supported by ATLL grants and contracts.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Master’s degree in education is required. A doctorate in education is preferred.
Experience: At least five years of teaching experience in a PK-12 setting is required, and at least two years experience in an administrative position is required. A record of successful grant writing, budget development, and administrative oversight is required. Documented evidence of successful personnel management and knowledge of best practice of professional development is also required.
Skills: Effective oral and written communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills are required. An understanding of PK-12 educational settings is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required. An understanding of university culture and governance structures is preferred. Knowledge of local, state, and national educational initiatives and the ability to communicate and demonstrate these to PK-12 teachers and administrators and university faculty and administrators is preferred.
Other: This position involves travel, evening and weekend work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES
1. Ensures the success of the University’s commitment to the ATLL’s mission of
developing, implementing, and evaluating professional development programs for educators that will lead to improved student learning by supervising, evaluating, and nurturing the work of ATLL staff, mentoring staff regarding standard operating procedures, including University governance structures, and directly supervising all projects, programs, and other activities under the auspices of the ATLL.
2. Assures the sound financial operation of the ATLL by writing grants and contracts and teaching staff how to complete RFPs and other forms, such as PK-12 school forms, DESE forms, and university forms.
3. Facilitates collaboration in support of professional development activities by
cooperatively and in partnership with other professional development initiatives variously funded through local, state, federal, and private sources and by working with DESE Field Supervisors and others to coordinate school improvement through the Comprehensive School Improvement Plan (CSIP), and the Missouri School Improvement Program (MSIP), and team approaches to raising student achievement, i.e., Success Teams.
4. Represents the ATLL and learns about potential professional development opportunities that may be implemented by the ATLL by attending DESE-sponsored meetings, conferences, workshops, and other activities.
5. Documents the ATLL’s sphere of influence and the impact of professional development activities on educators and students by evaluating ATLL activities and preparing annual reports, newsletters, strategic plans, and other documents.
6. Sets an example as an instructional leader and professional educator while conducting meetings, presenting workshops, teaching classes, or performing other duties related to improving education for Missouri school children.
7. Conducts meetings of the ATLL Advisory Council and Executive Committee in
collaboration with the Chairperson of each group.
8. Facilitates a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
9. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the supervisor.
10. Contributes to the overall success of ATLL by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Director, ATLL is supervised by the Department Head, Counseling, Leadership and Special Education and supervises professional and clerical staff within ATLL.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED NOVEMBER 2019