TITLE Assessment Specialist
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 2425
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director, Assessment
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Associate Provost for Student Development and Public Affairs
The Assessment Specialist assists the Director, Assessment in planning and implementing assessment services that meet the needs and interests of on-campus and off-campus constituencies. The Assessment Specialist works with the Director, Assessment to help colleges, academic and co-curricular departments, and faculty determine assessment needs and measure how students are meeting learning outcomes. The Assessment Specialist assists with the administration of a variety of assessments including external assessments such as the National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE). The Assessment Specialist works with the Director, Assessment to inventory assessment information and assessment instruments used at the University for purposes of external accreditation, such as the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). The Assessment Specialist assists with coordination of a comprehensive website for use by faculty, students, accrediting organizations, and community, assists with the design and editing of assessment annual reports, coordinates the University Exit Exam, and assists as needed with colleges on major field testing. The Assessment Specialist provides information to support program review and accreditation needs in colleges and academic and co-curricular departments.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor’s degree is required.
Experience: At least one year of experience in assessment or education is required.
Skills: Effective verbal and written communication skills are required. Attention to detail, strong organizational skills, and the ability to communicate technical information to individuals of varying backgrounds are required. The ability to reason analytically and the ability to successfully manage multiple projects are required. The ability to work independently and on a team is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: Occasional out-of-town travel may be required to engage in professional development. The scope of the job may require some evening and weekend work to complete projects, participate in workshops, seminars, training, and professional development.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assists the Director, Assessment with outreach to colleges, academic and co-curricular departments, and programs to provide support for assessment, program review, accreditation, etc. by assessing their needs.
2. Assists the Director, Assessment to administer surveys and develop reports.
3. Organizes assessment projects and results into a comprehensive website, to provide useful information to students, faculty, accrediting agencies, the community, etc.
3. Recommends consolidation of assessment efforts where appropriate and organizes assessment projects and results into a comprehensive website to provide useful information to students, faculty, accrediting agencies, the community, etc.
4. Communicates assessment findings to the appropriate groups who would benefit from understanding the results, including communicating to particular audiences, both internal and external, the results of external assessments, such as NSSE and accreditation.
5. Assists with the coordination and implementation of events such as the Showcase on Assessment and similar events.
6. Under the direction of the Director, Assessment, works with contracts, services, organizations, and individuals as assigned.
7. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and the development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
8. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Director, Assessment.
9. Supports the overall success of the Office of Assessment by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Assessment Specialist is supervised by the Director Assessment and may supervise Graduate Assistants and student employees.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES