TITLE Band Event Coordinator
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 2153
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director of Bands and Associate Director of Bands
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Head, Music
The Band Event Coordinator arranges and coordinates camps and special events involving the band and ensembles. The Band Event Coordinator publicizes events, processes entries and fees, schedules participating schools, reserves facilities, coordinates judges, scorers, and staff working the event, and prepares and monitors the budget for each event.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor’s degree is required.
Experience: At least one year of experience organizing and coordinating events such as band performances, arts events, university events, festivals, workshops, public relations, and fund raising initiatives.
Skills: Exceptional interpersonal skills are required. Effective oral and written communication skills are required. Must have strong decision-making skills, the ability to prioritize tasks, and to bring many varied tasks to completion by deadlines. Must be able to work independently, have the ability to use university procedures to accomplish the job, and the ability to use initiative in meeting objectives. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: Must be able to travel out of town occasionally to attend events. Evening and weekend work at events may be required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assures the orderly planning, coordination, and execution of performances of the band and ensembles by preparing and maintaining the performance calendar.
2. Helps to assure the success of the camps and on-campus competitions and instructional events sponsored by the Band Department by designing the brochure/entry form to publicize the event, overseeing the printing and mailing of brochures/entry forms, processing entries and fees, scheduling participating schools, reserving dressing rooms, performance venues, dining facilities, housing, etc., obtaining and coordinating judges, scores, and staff, counting and safeguarding the money from registration, preparing financial spreadsheets for each event, organizing camp and competition check-ins, and problem-solving during the event.
3. Helps to assure the success of the band and its ensembles by making travel arrangements, and preparing budget proposals for trips.
4. Helps to assure the effective day-to-day operation of the Band Office by scheduling
appointments, preparing correspondence, ordering supplies and equipment, solving problems, and monitoring flow of work.
5. Assists with student recruitment and outreach to high schools by participating at conventions and assisting with the exhibition booth.
6. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
7. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development training, and attending training and/or courses as required by the Director or Associate Director of Bands.
8. Helps to assure the overall success of the Band Office by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Band Event Coordinator is supervised by the Director and Associate Director of Bands and supervises student workers and assists with the supervision of graduate assistants.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED JANUARY 2017