TITLE Color Guard Director
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 2145
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director of Athletic Bands
The Color Guard Director recruits for the Pride Color Guard, coordinates Pride Color Guard auditions, choreographs routines, and teaches routines. The Color Guard Director designs flags and equipment and maintains the Color Guard Inventory. The Color Guard Director oversees all aspects of the Winter Guard, oversees the Color Guard track of Bands Alive summer camp, manages the instrument inventory and instrument repairs, assists in planning and executing the Ozarko marching band contest, and assists with recruiting efforts for the MSU band program.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A high school diploma is required; some college is preferred.
Experience: A background in music, color guard, and marching experience are required.
Skills: Color Guard skills and a knowledge of costume design are required. Computer literacy and general office skills are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Recruits for the Pride Color Guard and coordinates the Pride Color Guard auditions including building reservations, housing, etc.
2. Choreographs all routines, teaches these routines for the Pride Color Guard, instructs the Pride Color Guard at daily rehearsals, and leads and instructs all Pride Color Guard sectional rehearsals.
4. Designs flags and equipment for the Pride Color Guard.
5. Maintains the Color Guard inventory.
6. In conjunction with the Director of Athletic Bands, oversees the Pride Color Guard student leadership team.
7. Oversees all aspects of the Missouri State Winter Guards.
8. Oversees the Color Guard track of Bands Alive summer camps when offered.
9. Manages and maintains the annual Wehr Band Hall instrument inventory and instrument repairs.
10. Assists with recruiting efforts for the MSU band program (MMEA, MBA, Operation Band Day, etc.)
11. Assists with planning and execution of Ozarko marching contest.
12. Attends weekly staff meetings.
13. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
14. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Director of Athletic Bands.
15. Helps to ensure the success of the band by performing all other duties assigned by the Director of Athletic Bands or the Director of Concert Bands.
The Color Guard Director is supervised by the Director of Athletic Bands.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED MAY 2021