TITLE Director of Exhibitions
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 2137
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Department Head, Art and Design
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Dean, College of Arts and Letters
The primary duty of the Director of Exhibitions is providing leadership and management of the exhibition program for the department of Art and Design within the Brick City Gallery, the Student Exhibition Center, and other venues on campus. The Director of Exhibitions plans and coordinates exhibitions, writes press releases and oversees the creation of promotional materials, supervises graduate assistants and student workers, administers the Art and Design department exhibitions budget and the Student Exhibition Center budget, manages and oversees the maintenance of the facilities, and monitors and assesses outcomes. The Director of Exhibitions teaches one course in the fall and one course in the spring.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Master’s degree in Art or a related field is required.
Experience: At least one year of gallery/museum experience, including managing budgets, public relations, and publicity is required.
Skills: Exceptional interpersonal communication skills are required. Exceptional verbal and written communication skills are required. Proven mastery of common digital tools related to image manipulation and electronic postings is required. Strong management skills, including strong decision-making skills are required. The ability to prioritize tasks and to bring many varied tasks to completion by deadlines is required. The ability to work independently is required. The ability to quickly learn the administrative structure of the university and the procedures necessary to accomplish the job is required. The ability to use initiative in meeting the responsibilities of the job is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: The ability to travel to and from different locations on campus to make arrangements for exhibitions is required. The ability to lift and carry objects weighing up to 40 pounds is required. Must be able to work evenings and weekends as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assures the orderly and effective presentation of exhibitions at the Brick City Gallery, Student Exhibition Center, and other campus venues by soliciting, planning, scheduling, and coordinating exhibitions and installing special exhibits.
2. Supports the Public Affairs Mission of Missouri State University by engaging in professional activities that promote that mission and providing assistance to the department of Art and Design and the College of Arts and Letters as needed to support public awareness of its mission.
3. Provides information concerning the Brick City Gallery, Student Exhibition Center, and other campus exhibition venues and its exhibitors by utilizing various means, including, but not limited to, the Office of Strategic Communication, the University calendar, and departmental digital resources and monitors all associated websites and other venues that provide information concerning exhibitions.
4. Assists the department head of Art and Design in coordinating fundraising activities held in conjunction with campus exhibitions.
5. Helps to assure the success of Brick City Gallery and the Student Exhibition Center by ensuring proper management and maintenance of the spaces, including physical structure of the Student Exhibition Center, coordinating security efforts with the Office of University Safety, and serving as Building Coordinator for the Student Exhibition Center facility.
6. Ensures the financial stability of the Brick City Gallery and the Student Exhibition Center by administering the budget, including signature authority for the budgets related to the Brick City Gallery and the Student Exhibition Center, and purchasing equipment and supplies.
7. Contributes to the success of the Brick City Gallery and the Student Exhibition by coordinating the development of short- and long-range objectives and evaluating progress toward these objectives on a continuing basis.
8. Ensures the effective, efficient operation of the unit by developing and enforcing appropriate policies and procedures in accordance with professional gallery standards and providing related information to exhibitors and faculty coordinators.
9. Ensures the effective, efficient operation of the unit by scheduling, training, and otherwise supervising graduate assistants and student monitors and following policies of Student Employment and Human Resources.
10. Takes a leadership role in establishing mutually beneficial and supportive relationships with appropriate community organizations and the Brick City Gallery and the Student Exhibition Center by representing the University, College of Arts and Letters, and the department of Art and Design and promoting the missions of the exhibition spaces in those relationships.
11. Maintains a strong service orientation toward students and other members of the campus community by meeting with students who are exhibiting their work for degree requirements to ensure a mutual understanding of anticipated results.
12. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
13. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Department Head, Art and Design.
14. Contributes to the overall success of the Brick City Gallery and the Student Exhibition by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Director of Exhibitions is supervised by the Department Head, Art and Design and supervises graduate assistants and student workers.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED DECEMBER 2018