TITLE Laboratory Supervisor-CNAS
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 2114
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Varies
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Dean, College of Natural and Applied Sciences
The Laboratory Supervisor - CNAS teaches the laboratory sections of assigned classes in coordination with the instructor who provides the lecture portion of the course. The Laboratory Supervisor sets up materials for laboratory exercises, prepares and orders materials for laboratory exercises, and supervises Teaching Assistants.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A master's degree in the appropriate discipline is required.
Experience: If the course taught is a required course for teacher certification, teaching experience (K - 12) is required.
Skills: Effective oral and written communication skills are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Helps to provide an effective learning experience for students enrolled in various College of Natural and Applied Science courses by teaching the laboratory sections.
2. Assures that students are provided with appropriate materials to facilitate learning by ordering, preparing, and setting up materials needed for laboratory exercises.
3. Helps to provide a coordinated learning experience for students by instructing and supervising Teaching Assistants assigned to the course and coordinating with the course lecture instructor.
4. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
5. Maintains competency and professional currency through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contact with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the assigned supervisor or the Dean of the College of Natural and Applied Sciences.
6. Contributes to the overall success of the College of Natural and Applied Sciences by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Laboratory Supervisor is supervised by the appropriate Department Head and supervises Teaching Assistants assigned to the course.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED SEPTEMBER 2011