TITLE Director of Library Services-West Plains
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 2090
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Dean of Academic Affairs
The Director of Library Services, West Plains administers and coordinates the management and operations of the Garnett Library, including budgetary aspects, services, collections, and planning, provides staff training, support of services, and collection development to Barbe Library (Mountain Grove), and provides indirect supervision of the campus library at Dalian (People’s Republic of China). The Director of Library Services, West Plains works closely with faculty and students to provide reference support and user education, helps develop and organize library print and media resource collections, and contributes to internet services and resources. The Director of Library Services, West Plains provides oversight for circulation, reference, acquisitions, and cataloging activities for compliance with Missouri State University Libraries and consortium policies and procedures.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Master's degree in Library Science (MLS) from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited program or a Master's degree in Educational Technology with a Library Science emphasis is required. A bachelor’s degree in education is preferred.
Experience: Professional experience in an academic or special library setting is preferred. Supervisory experience is preferred.
Skills: Knowledge of all library processes including classification, automated cataloging, and circulation functions is required. Computer literacy is required with word processing, databases, spreadsheets, print and online searching, web page development, and the use of an Integrated Library System (ILS). Reference interviewing techniques and instruction and demonstration skills are required. Excellent verbal and written communication and strong interpersonal skills are required. Attention to detail is required. The ability to function as a team member with library staff and willingness to update skills are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: The work environment may include occasional mold and dust from library materials. The work environment may include occasional mold and dust from library materials. The position may require working evening and weekend hours on a regular basis. Hours of work may vary during inter-sessions and summer sessions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Manages the Garnett Library by coordinating budgetary aspects, services, resources, collections, planning, and staffing, provides staff training and support of services and collection development to Barbe Library (Mountain Grove), and completes required reports to provide required information.
2. Provides reference support and user education by working closely with faculty and students.
3. Helps to meet the research needs of students and faculty by developing and organizing print and media collections and utilizing online services and resources.
4. Maintains library services by managing activities and priorities, such as library orientations, acquisitions, and cataloging, preparing an annual acquisitions plan, maintaining functionality of collections, and promoting preservation and access activities in coordination with Missouri State University Libraries.
5. Represents Garnett Library by maintaining appropriate communications with the academic community, serving as liaison with the Friends of the Library, providing programs upon request, meeting with local public librarian on matters of related concern, and reviewing the reciprocal lending agreement biannually.
6. Provides supervision for full-time and part-time Garnett Library staff by training, scheduling, monitoring and evaluating job performance and serving as a staff selection resource for Barbe Library, Mountain Grove.
7. Maintains statistics of acquisitions, cataloging, circulation, and other services.
8. Teaches Library Science courses as required.
9. Facilitates a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
10. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional conferences and professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as required by the Dean of Academic Affairs.
11. Helps to assure the overall success of the libraries serving students of the West Plains campus and Missouri State University Library Services by serving on campus committees and performing all other duties assigned.
The Director of Library Services is supervised by the Dean of Academic Affairs and supervises library staff at Garnett Library including Assistant Librarian, Cataloger/Reference Librarian, Circulation/Shelving Supervisor, part-time staff, part-time student workers, and volunteers.
WEST PLAINS CAMPUS
REVISED AUGUST 2019