TITLE Mental Health Clinician - Diversity Initiatives
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 2059
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director, Counseling Center
The Mental Health Clinician – Diversity Initiatives is a member of the Counseling Center staff whose primary responsibility is counseling University students with psychological or educational concerns with an emphasis on assisting the center in addressing diversity and equity issues and improving services to meet students’ mental health needs.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A master's degree in psychology, counseling, social work, or a mental health discipline is required; a doctorate in psychology, counseling, or a mental health discipline is preferred.
Experience: Prior experience of at least one year as a mental health clinician is required; clinical experience working in a college counseling center is preferred. Experience in providing tele mental health services is preferred. Experience with Solution Focused Brief Therapy is preferred.
Skills: The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required. Demonstrates cultural competency/consciousness in working with diverse cultures is required.
Licensure: Must be professionally licensed in the mental health field in Missouri, or, must pass the licensure exam within the first 12 months of hire date and must be approved for supervision through the State of Missouri licensure board within the first 18 months of hire date and must be fully licensed within 2-4 years from hire date.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Facilitates the optimal functioning and well-being of University students by providing individual, couples, and group counseling.
2. Ensures that the concerns of clients are addressed in an appropriate manner through psychological assessment procedures, making referrals when indicated.
3. Promotes responsible care of Counseling Center clients by maintaining documentation of client contacts, consultations, and referrals in accordance with professional guidelines.
4. Ensures that the needs of students are addressed in emergency situations by providing crisis intervention services during office hours and after hours as needed.
5. Provides educational workshops by participating in proactive outreach programming, including and emphasis on outreach, consultation and training on diversity and related mental health concerns.
6. Obtains additional relevant information and promotes self-understanding with clients by suggesting and interpreting psychological and vocational tests.
7. Facilitates the understanding of psychological issues and concerns of the University community by serving as a consultant for the University and the greater community.
8. Ensures that services are provided in an ethical and responsible manner by providing training and supervision for graduate students, support staff, student workers, and paraprofessionals.
9. Provides clinical supervision for non-credentialed staff, who operate under the supervisor’s license.
10. Maintains and enhances the quality and relevance of services provided by the Center through on-going evaluation of all services.
11. Ensures optimal operations of the Counseling Center by conferring with the Director regarding administrative policies and procedures of the Center and the University.
12. Provides input and remains current on operations of the Counseling Center by attending staff meetings.
13. Acquires additional knowledge and skills in providing tele mental health services and counseling ethnic minorities and historically underrepresented individuals.
14. Remains knowledgeable about current trends in counseling, psychotherapy, and student development by participating in professional development through presentations, publications and memberships in professional organizations and obtaining Continuing Education Units (CEUs) as required by the state licensing and regulatory boards.
15. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
16. Contributes to overall functioning of the Counseling Center by completing all other tasks which are assigned by the Director, Counseling Center.
The Mental Health Clinician is supervised by the Director, Counseling Center and provides supervision for interns, graduate students, and other staff as needed.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES