TITLE Coordinator, Housing Policy
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1962
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Assistant Director of Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services - Business Services
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Director of Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services
The Coordinator, Housing Policy is responsible for the daily organization, administration, and implementation of the exception/contract breakage process, managing an annual student satisfaction assessment, coordinating special guest visits (including, but not limited to, guest housing, tour rooms, personalized athletic tours, and early arrival housing), and standardizing residence hall front desk services. The Coordinator, Housing Policy provides support and managerial assistance in the implementation of various operational functions within the Department of Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor's degree is required; a Master’s degree in higher education
administration, MBA, or a related field from a regionally accredited university or college
Experience: At least one year of work experience in a field related to the position, such as housing, student affairs, customer service, etc. is required; at least three years of post-bachelor’s degree experience in housing is preferred. Supervisory experience of both students and support staff is required. Hiring, training, and presentation experience is required.
Skills: The ability to organize, analyze, and present data and information to produce effective and efficient student services and operational programs for residents is required. Skill in communicating in one-on-one situations with individuals, explaining and interpreting policies, and mediating disputes is required. The ability to handle numerous tasks simultaneously while accurately attending to details is required. The ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and through written correspondence is required. Excellent customer service skills, including independent problem solving, are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required. Knowledge of standard operating procedures for residence hall facilities is preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Manages the process through which students request exceptions to the University Housing Policy and obtain release from their student housing contracts by reviewing and analyzing exceptions/breakage requests and communicating decisions, meeting with students, updating the student housing database, and generating reports.
2. Provides quality service by training staff members and overseeing the guest and early arrival housing programs.
3. Promotes a positive image of University housing by coordinating the tour room program, recruiting student rooms during the academic year for use as tour rooms, and decorating rooms during the summer for display during the Student Orientation, Advisement, and Registration (SOAR) program.
4. Coordinates training for University Ambassadors and SOAR Leaders giving tours in the residence halls and serves as the liaison for tours for athlietic groups and others needing specialized tours.
5. Trains departmental staff and presents to University faculty and staff on policies and procedures related to housing policy and represents Residence Life at University promotional days, including, but not limited to, Showcase, Scholarship days, Admitted Student Day, etc.
6. Maintains appropriate confidentiality when working with sensitive information such as grades, financial and familial status, disability status, behavioral issues, discipline issues, etc.
7. Oversees billing functions, initiates accurate billing records for guest and early arrival housing, and works with the software developer to ensure the software and database are performing as expected for Early Arrivals.
8. Serves as a liaison to students, families, University faculty and staff, and others and resolves complaints, questions, and other housing matters.
9. In conjunction with the Director, Associate Directors, Assistant Directors, and Coordinators of Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services, assists with appropriate timely response to system-wide or building specific needs, emergencies, or other situations requiring central office intervention, including participation in the rotational on-call schedule.
10. Develops and implements customer service training programs for front desk operations staff, oversees the selection, hiring, and training of student and full-time front desk operations staff, monitors customer satisfaction of residence hall front desk operations, and standardizes front desk services.
11. Implements the annual student housing satisfaction assessment and organizes, analyses, and presents finding to internal and external constituents.
12. Participates and/or leads departmental committees and/or conference or workshop experiences as assigned.
13. Serves as the Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services liaison with the Disability Resource Center and the Learning Diagnostic Clinic regarding compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Fair Housing Act, meets with students who have been approved to have Emotional Support Animals, and processes conduct resulting from policy violations.
14. Supports the overall operation of the Residence Life Business Services office and cross-trains on various processes and reporting procedures.
15. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
16. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Assistant Director of Residence Life and Services - Business Services.
17. Supports the overall operation of the Department of Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services and contributes to the accomplishment of its mission and goals by performing other duties as assigned by the Assistant Director of Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services - Business Services.
The Coordinator, Housing Policy is supervised by the Assistant Director of Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services - Business Services and may supervise student employees and clerical support staff.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED MARCH 2018