TITLE Assistant Director, Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services-Education and Development
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1955
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Associate Director, Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Director, Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services
The primary duties of the Assistant Director, Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services-Education and Development are administration of the personnel functions and overall supervision of professional, graduate, and undergraduate staff within an area of residence halls; assisting in long-range and short-range planning to provide student development opportunities to meet the needs of current and future students; and ensuring appropriate advising of student groups and committees. The Assistant Director, Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services-Education and Development provides leadership to professional staff and assists in the development of policies and procedures.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Master's degree in Educational Administration, College Student Personnel, or related field is required.
Experience: At least four years post-Master’s experience in residence life with increasing levels of responsibility and exposure to student conduct, hall administration, student development and programming, leadership development, and supervision of student employees and volunteers.
Skills: The ability to select, supervise, and evaluate full-time support staff and student personnel is required; the ability to select, supervise, and evaluate professional personnel is preferred. Effective verbal and written communication skills and a demonstrated ability to produce effective, creative, and meaningful student development programs are required. The ability to motivate students in self-governing organizations is required. Demonstrated skills in problem solving, conflict resolution, effective decision making, and goal achievement are required. The ability to prepare and implement workshops and training presentations to large and small groups and the ability to utilize word processing and other applications to process data are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required. Experience incorporating multi-cultural and multi-perspective experiences for students that are needed to succeed in a global, broadly diverse society is preferred. Experience working in diverse environment and/or with students from diverse backgrounds is preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Facilitates a service-oriented approach to student development by participating in the development and implementation of long-range and short-range goals designed to meet the needs of current and prospective students.
2. Facilitates a creative, appropriate, and student-oriented direction for the department by participating in the shaping, interpretation, communication, and implementation of Residence Life, Housing, and Dining Services policies and procedures.
3. Provides for the appropriate implementation of delegated tasks and student development areas through the selection, training, daily supervision, and evaluation of the Residence Hall Directors.
4. Facilitates the recruitment, selection, and training of Residence Hall Directors and Assistant Hall Directors.
5. Facilitates an effective Resident Assistant staff by monitoring the selection, supervision, evaluation, training, and in-service opportunities provided for the Resident Assistant staff.
6. Facilitates and monitors, in conjunction with the Associate Director, the other Assistant Directors, and the Area Coordinator, the development and implementation of professional development activities for Residence Hall Directors and Assistant Hall Directors.
7. Encourages responsible behavior among Residence Life, Housing, and Dining Services staff and students by establishing and communicating behavioral expectations that encourage and influence the development of responsible behavior, facilitate the development of an environment which stimulates student responsibility and accountability within the residence life community, and encourages the appreciation of diversity.
8. Ensures compliance with the evaluation processes for Residence Hall Directors, Assistant Hall Directors, and Resident Assistants.
9. Manages funds by assisting in the development of the Student and Staff Development portion of the departmental budget, including hall council budgets; developing and monitoring the budget and financial procedures for Residence Life Student Activity Fee; and monitoring individual office budgets.
10. Facilitates the implementation of living environments in the residence halls that meet the needs of the general student population including family housing and living-learning communities.
11. Actively participates in professional organizations and facilitates interaction with other institutions of higher education.
12. Facilitates the development of an environment conducive to the positive growth of individuals and groups in the residence halls by consulting, counseling, and advising students on an individual and group basis.
13. Facilitates an educational approach to student conduct concerns by providing direction and guidance to staff members who utilize the Campus Judicial Tracking System and in preparation for judicial hearings, reviewing incident reports and conducting follow-up as necessary, providing first-line disciplinary referral, ensuring consistent enforcement of all University rules and regulations in the residence halls, and by implementing procedural and policy changes as approved by the Associate Director, Residence Life, Housing, and Dining Services.
14. Facilitates and supervises all programming efforts in the residence halls including special events/themes programming (late-night programming, alcohol education, etc.) and programming that promotes the development of the personal, social, and academic skills of residents.
15. Assists with, in conjunction with the Director, the Associate Director, the other Assistant Directors, and the Area Coordinator, appropriate and timely responses to system-wide or building-specific needs, emergencies, or other situations requiring central office intervention.
16. Facilitates effective management of the residence halls by assisting with the administrative duties which include web desk operation, completion of occupancy reports, student payroll, room/hall assignments and transfers, custodial/maintenance reports, and other contractual paperwork, and coordinating all aspects of semester and vacation opening and closing of the halls.
17. Assists with facilities operations by identifying and coordinating (in conjunction with the area maintenance and custodial staffs) building repairs and maintenance/safety requirements for the area; recommending facility improvements; participating in the development of short- and long-range plans for maintaining and improving the physical facilities, furnishings, and grounds; assisting with maintenance of inventory-control records on all furnishings and equipment in the area; and coordinating maintenance repair and follow-up.
18. Participates as a member of the University community by serving on various committees and task forces as assigned.
19. Advances the concepts of student development and programming by serving as a resource and liaison to other University offices and student groups.
20. Serves as an instructor for the Resident Assistant Seminar (IDS 275).
21. Facilitates implementation of programs for the summer including efforts directed at Summer Camps and Conferences, Summer School, and SOAR.
22. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
23. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or development courses required by the Associate Director, Residence Life, Housing, and Dining Services.
24. Supports the overall operation of Residence Life, Housing, and Dining Services and contributes to the accomplishment of its mission and goals by performing other duties as assigned by the Associate Director, Residence Life, Housing, and Dining Services.
The Assistant Director, Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services-Education and Development supervises the Residence Hall Directors and clerical staff; provides indirect supervision to Assistant Hall Directors, Graduate Assistants, Residence Hall Receptionists, Residence Hall Night Hosts, and Resident Assistants; makes recommendations which are given particular weight regarding the hiring, dismissal, advancement, promotion, and other changes of status of those supervised; and is supervised by the Associate Director, Residence Life, Housing and Dining Services.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED JUNE 2018