TITLE Coordinator, Fraternity and Sorority Life
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1944
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Assistant Director, Student Engagement - Involvement
The Coordinator, Fraternity and Sorority Life coordinates the activities of fraternity and sorority chapters at the University. The Coordinator, Fraternity and Sorority Life serves as the advisor to the various fraternity and sorority life chapters, councils, and committees. The Coordinator, Fraternity and Sorority Life supervises the Graduate Assistant for Fraternity and Sorority Life.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor's degree is required. A Master's degree in Educational Administration, College Student Personnel, or other related field is preferred.
Experience: Experience with social Greek letter organizations in either an advisory or leadership capacity is preferred. Demonstrated experience with student leadership programming organizational development, initiating, planning, executing, and assessing student programs and services, and measuring student outcomes is preferred. Experience incorporating multi-cultural and multi-perspective experiences for students that needed to succeed in a global, broadly diverse society is preferred.
Skills: Excellent organizational, written, and verbal communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: The scope of the position frequently requires attendance at evening and/or weekend activities, meetings, seminars, and workshops.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Promotes a positive profile of the fraternity and sorority community by providing overall advisement, training, and support of the recognized social fraternities and sororities on campus.
2. Assists in the development of a responsible fraternity and sorority community through advising the IFC, PHA, NPHC, Order of Omega, and other fraternity and sorority life councils and committees.
3. Assists in establishing and/or maintaining the position of the fraternity and sorority community within the collegial environment by ensuring their understanding of and compliance with all University policies, the Student Code of Rights and Responsibilities, the Fraternity and Sorority Life Governance Statement, as well as municipal, state, and federal laws.
4. Addresses fraternity and sorority judicial matters as necessary, assists the Office of Student Conduct, and communicates with the police substation.
5. Develops a cooperative relationship with alumni advisors and general headquarters by working with them on individual chapter matters.
6. Manages financial resources, within budget limits, in accordance with University guidelines under the guidance and supervision of the Assistant Director of Student Engagement - Involvement by planning, developing, and monitoring the departmental budget.
7. Assists in establishing and continuing a cooperative relationship between the fraternity and sorority community, Springfield, and University communities by facilitating the Fraternity and Sorority Life Governance Statement, serving as a liaison and communicating planned student activities to the fraternity and sorority life leadership and encouraging their participation.
8. Ensures that the goals and objectives of Fraternity and Sorority Life and its programs are included in the annual goals and objectives for the Office of Student Engagement.
9. As a member of the Office of Student Engagement serves as a general advisor to all campus student organizations.
10. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
11. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Assistant Director of Student Engagement - Involvement.
12. Supports the overall operation of the Plaster Student Union and contributes to the department’s success by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Coordinator, Fraternity and Sorority Life is supervised by the Assistant Director of Student Engagement - Involvement and directly supervises graduate assistant(s) and student employees.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED APRIL 2021