TITLE Director, International Services
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1829
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Associate Vice President, International Education and Training
The Director, International Services is responsible for admission and support activities for international students coming to Missouri State University and supervises activities related to employment of international scholars and their dependents. The Director, International Services assists in the development of strategies to achieve established enrollment goals and oversees the application and admissions process for international students, including evaluation of foreign transcripts and decisions regarding transfer credit equivalency. The Director, International Services serves as Primary Designated School Official (PDSO) for the University and as the liaison between international students and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), to assist students regarding compliance with DHS policies and procedures.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Master’s degree is required.
Experience: Two years of successful management experience in an institution of higher education is required.
Skills: Knowledge of recruitment and admission procedures and policies in higher education is required. Strong oral and written communication skills are required. Management skills in the selection and supervision of employees and budgeting are required. A working knowledge of computer applications is required. Strong interpersonal skills are required. A record of inclusive conduct and evidence of multicultural skills in the workplace is required. Familiarity with U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) policies and procedures is preferred. Familiarity with languages other than English is desirable.
Other: Must be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident, eligible by law to access the
SEVIS database. Must be able to obtain a U.S. passport.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Serves as Primary Designated School Official (PDSO) for the University and maintains responsibility for ensuring certification and compliance with the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP), including Form I-17 updates, Form I-20 issuance, and all monitoring and reporting requirements.
2. Ensures the achievement of University established goals and objectives for enrollment of international students by working in collaboration with the Associate Vice President, International Education and Training to develop and administer a comprehensive strategy for international student recruitment and admission.
3. Ensures that international student applications and admissions are processed promptly and properly by developing international student application forms, developing procedures for the processing of international student applications, and determining the eligibility of international students for enrollment through the evaluation of foreign transcripts and test scores in accordance with the guidelines of the University and NAFSA: Association of International Educators, including evaluating transfer credit for course work completed at foreign colleges/universities, assessing English language proficiency, and evaluating financial support documentation provided by international applicants in response to established guidelines.
4. Assists international students, faculty, and staff regarding compliance with U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) policies and procedures by serving as a liaison between the students and the DHS as well as managing compliance activities regarding SEVIS.
5. Promotes intercultural awareness within the University and the local community by assisting with planning and coordination of special cultural events and activities involving international students.
6. Supports the academic success and personal well-being of international students by assisting them in effectively utilizing the resources of the University and providing leadership for the content and administration of the international student orientation.
7. Facilitates the matriculation of groups of international students from branch campuses and the English Language Institute.
8. Oversees the provision of assistance to departments, faculty, staff, scholars, and students on a broad spectrum of immigration, visa, and employment issues, including providing assistance to scholars and their dependents in obtaining and maintaining appropriate non-immigrant status and work authorization.
9. Utilizes external legal counsel for immigration matters when appropriate.
10. Supports Missouri State University by representing the Division on committees which address international enrollment and global engagement initiatives and assisting in the development of enrollment goals for international students.
11. Facilitates a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
12. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the Associate Vice President, International Education and Training.
13. Contributes to the overall success of MSU International Programs by advising and assisting the Associate Vice President, International Education and Training in matters regarding international students and performing all other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Director, International Services is supervised by the Associate Vice President, International Education and Training and supervises full time, part time and student employees, and graduate assistants
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED JULY 2021