TITLE Assistant Director of Plaster Student Union-Facilities and Operations
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1828
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director of Plaster Student Union
The Assistant Director of Plaster Student Union – Facilities and Operations is responsible for assisting in the overall facility management and operation of the Plaster Student Union and ensuring that the Union remains clean, safe, properly maintained, functional, and inviting.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor’s degree is required; a Master’s degree in Higher Education Administration, College Student Personnel, or a related field is preferred. An equivalent combination of years of experience and education may be considered for substitution of educational requirements.
Experience: One year of professional experience in student union operation, facilities management, or a related field is required. Budget management, knowledge of audio-visual equipment operation, knowledge of basic custodial and maintenance practices, and knowledge of student development theory is preferred. Two years of experience working as a graduate assistant in one or more of these areas may be substituted for the one-year experience requirement.
Skills: The ability to attend to details with accuracy and efficiency and to handle numerous tasks simultaneously is required. The ability to compose written communications, guidelines, and procedures, as well as the ability to clearly communicate verbally is required. The ability to use Microsoft Office applications, such as Word and Excel is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: The scope of the position requires some evening and weekend work; some out-of-town travel is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Maximizes the Student Union’s appearance by maintaining the condition of all building spaces, furniture, and equipment. Maintains inventory of equipment and makes recommendations to Director, Plaster Student Union on replacing items when necessary, developing specifications for and purchasing equipment, furnishings, and supplies for effective facility operation.
2. Works in conjunction with Facilities Maintenance, ensuring that all structural, electrical, plumbing, fire, safety and security systems are properly maintained and inspected, and overseeing the assignment, inventory, and use of all Student Union keys. Supports the preventative maintenance repairs and renovation schedules of the facility, in conjunction with Facilities Management. Directs the priorities of facility maintenance related matters to the Maintenance General Mechanic.
3. Ensures that the facilities of the Student Union are clean, operational, and properly maintained by establishing appearance and cleanliness standards for the facility, directing support staff efforts to achieve such standards and, conducting periodic inspections,
4. Ensures that the Student Union’s services are properly provided and that appropriate resources are available and utilized efficiently by recruiting, hiring, and supervising support staff and student employees, including the Maintenance General Mechanic, the Custodial Supervisor, custodial staff, Graduate Assistant, and student Building Managers, initiating and coordinating leadership development and training activities, clear standards and expectations, and proper personnel evaluations, and developing a highly motivated, customer-oriented student and support staff that demonstrates an understanding of the role of the College Union and presents themselves in a professional and receptive manner.
5. Monitors and maintains proper daily functions of the Student Union by developing and recommending operating policies and procedures that provide efficient and effective services, implementing existing policies, directing personnel in following and enforcing operating procedures, ensuring that all facility repairs and improvements are addressed promptly, developing and monitoring the custodial budget, and meeting with appropriate maintenance staff on a regular basis.
6. Provides audio/visual support for the Board of Governors by attending all Board meetings, recording audio during the open meetings, and coordinating meeting details with the Secretary of the Board of Governors, as needed.
7. Serves as Eco-Ambassador for the Plaster Student Union and completes all required training provided by the Office of Sustainability and provides education and resources to the Plaster Student Union on sustainability efforts and programming.
8. Facilitates a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
9. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Director of Plaster Student Union.
10. Supports the overall operation of the Plaster Student Union and contributes to the organization’s overall success by performing other duties as assigned by the Director of Plaster Student Union.
The Assistant Director of Plaster Student Union reports to and is supervised by the Director of Plaster Student Union and directly supervises the Custodial Supervisor, student Building Managers and a Graduate Assistant.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED JUNE 2022