TITLE Assistant Director of Advancement Services
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1793
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director of Advancement Services
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Vice President for University Advancement
The Assistant Director of Advancement Services is responsible for assisting with the management of the recordkeeping system for the Missouri State University Foundation and the Missouri State University Alumni Association. The Assistant Director supports the internal operations of the office and provides information for internal and external use, may supervise the daily depositing, processing, and recording of all contributions to University programs, and generates various performance reports for senior administrators and the Board of Governors.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor’s degree is required.
Experience: At least two years of experience in office management is required, and must include experience in, but not limited to, records management, data entry, word processing, accounting, online research, and filing. Prior experience in a university setting or higher education environment is preferred.
Skills: Requires strong oral and written communication skills; writing skills must include proofreading, editing, and report writing abilities. Excellent interpersonal skills are required. Requires strong management skills in staff supervision and long-term goal setting. Computer literacy is required and must include word processing, using databases, and familiarity with the Internet. Requires the ability to work independently with minimal supervision, to be detail-oriented, and to follow through on projects or work assignments.
Effort: Occasionally required to lift and move boxes of materials and equipment weighing between twenty-five to fifty pounds.
Other: The scope of the job requires some travel and occasional attendance at evening and/or weekend activities, meetings, events, seminars, and workshops.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Helps to assure that information is current and accessible by assisting with maintenance of the database consisting of nearly two-hundred thousand records of alumni and friends of the University.
2. Ensures that the records regarding donors to the Missouri State University Foundation are both complete and accurate by overseeing policies regarding the organizational structure of hard copy files and records maintained on donors.
3. Works in conjunction with the office’s systems staff and the Director of Advancement Services to help develop appropriate computer programming to accommodate the internal workings of the Office of Development and Alumni Relations, as well as needs and requests from a variety of campus departments and organizations.
4. Assists in generating and producing final copy for internal and external records and reports to include (but limited to) regularly scheduled and any special Board of Governors reports and information regarding the Missouri State University Foundation and Missouri State University Alumni Association for a variety of University publications.
5. Ensures that gifts are processed in an accurate and timely manner by assisting in overseeing the daily depositing, processing, and recording of all private contributions for University programs.
6. Provides support to the Office of Development and Alumni Relations by acknowledging and processing all gifts-in-kind, including securities, and handling the reminders for donors of their pledge commitments to scholarships.
7. Helps to assure that individuals within the Office of Development and Alumni Relations have the computer support necessary to effectively fulfill their responsibilities by working with systems staff and the Director of Advancement Services to supply appropriate available information to support fundraising programs, including the Missouri State Phone Campaign and the Campus Campaign, Homecoming and alumni mailings, and events and activities.
8. Fulfills various objectives of the Office of Development and Alumni Relations, as appropriate, by attending and assisting with the coordination of a variety of University events involving alumni and donors, including Homecoming activities, building dedications, athletics events, dinners and other social functions.
9. As appropriate, corresponds with alumni and friends of the University regarding a variety of topics related to the operation of the Office of Development and Alumni Relations.
10. Provides assistance by supporting special projects undertaken by the Office of Development and Alumni Relations, performing some alumni records research as well as prospective donor research in conjunction with the Director of Development Research, and providing information that is current and as complete as possible.
11. Facilitates the work of the Office of Development and Alumni Relations by developing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with a variety of University units, particularly Computer Services, Athletics, Enrollment Services, and Financial Services.
12. Establishes and maintains professional competency and currency in the field of university development work as it relates to records and research through professional reading and contacts with colleagues.
13. Helps to assure that work progresses smoothly by maintaining donor confidentiality and confidentiality as appropriate relating to projects undertaken by the Office of Development and Alumni Relations.
14. Contributes to the overall success of the Office of Development and Alumni Relations by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Assistant Director of Advancement Services is supervised by the Director of Advancement Services and shares supervision of the Gifts Records Supervisor, the systems staff, record clerks, and a number of student employees.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED MAY 2007