TITLE Director, Donor Relations and Special Events
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1788
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Senior Director of Donor Relations
The Director, Donor Relations and Special Events determines the amount of Foundation scholarship awards, monitors compliance with donor agreement guidelines serves as a liaison with the Office of Student Financial Aid and scholarship committees on campus to facilitate communication, coordinates the scholarship notification and donor thank you process, and reports on privately funded scholarships. This position assists and guides Asst. Director of Donor Relations and Special Events - West Plains with best practices and aligning the scholarship process for Foundation funded West-Plains scholarships with the process on the Springfield campus.
The Director, Donor Relations and Special Events assists in all aspects of planning and executing Foundation and University events.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor’s degree is required in Public Relations, Communications, Marketing, or other business-related field. An equivalent combination of experience and education may be considered for substitution of educational requirements.
Experience: At least two years of successful professional experience is required. A record of prior demonstrated experience in fundraising, development or other related work is preferred.
Skills: Exceptional interpersonal skills with all ages are required. Strong written and oral communication skills are required. Proficiency with computer skills, such as Microsoft Office products, word processing and Excel or other related spreadsheet software, is required. Database management experience is preferred. Must be detail-oriented and have excellent follow-through and planning abilities; must be able to manage deadlines. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Effort: Occasionally required to lift and move boxes of materials and equipment weighing twenty-five to fifty pounds.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Works with and guides the Assistant Director of Donor Relations and Special Events - West Plains, with best practices and aligning the scholarship process for foundation funded West Plains scholarships with those of the Springfield campus.
2. Monitors active scholarship accounts to ensure that scholarships are awarded within established guidelines. Determine the amount of Foundation scholarship awards by evaluating account balances and fund sustainability.
3. Coordinates the implementation and maintenance of the Scholarship Manager (SM) software program, including entering fund, scholarship, and other information needed.
4. Coordinates and provides training on the scholarship process and the SM software for designated staff in the Office of Student Financial Aid (OSFA) and Foundation as well as Scholarship Committees throughout campus by working with the Director of Donor Relations and the Assistant Director, OSFA.
5. Serves as a liaison with the Foundation, the Office of Student Financial Aid, and scholarship committees across campus, maintains an accurate list of all scholarship committees on campus, works with the Office of Student Financial Aid concerning student awards and scholarships, develops, implements, and disseminates policies and procedures to be used by scholarship committees in determining Foundation scholarship award selections, and facilitates the flow of financial information to campus scholarship committees prior to awards.
6. Coordinates the scholarship notification and donor thank you processes by notifying students of the thank you letter process, coordinating receipt and review of thank you letters from students, notifying the OSFA of receipt so funds may be disbursed, and mailing thank you letters to donors.
7. Supervise, create and assign tasks to Donor Relations and Special Events graduate assistant and student employees.
8. Compiles and reports metrics on an annual basis to assess the University’s performance in awarding privately funded scholarships.
9. Assists the Senior Director of Donor Relations and Special Events on all aspects of planning and executing a variety of Foundation and University events.
10. Enhances the ability of the University to meet fund-raising goals by having a complete understanding of giving programs available through the Missouri State University Foundation and possessing a knowledge of the advantages of membership in various gift recognition clubs.
11. Facilitates and supports the accomplishment of established goals for the Office of Development and Alumni Relations by developing and maintaining cordial and professional working relationships with University administrative, support, and professional departmental staff and appropriate off-campus constituencies.
12. Assures donor confidentiality as well as the confidentiality of the projects undertaken by the Office of Development and Alumni Relations by conducting all personal contacts and communications with donors in a professional manner.
13. Facilitates good donor relations by representing the Office of Development and Alumni Relations at functions and meetings as assigned and working with donors and potential donors, alumni, students, friends, and various constituencies of the University to strengthen their ties to Missouri State University.
14. Participates as a fully productive member of the professional staff by adhering to all University policies and procedures and the internal policies and procedures of the Office of Development and Alumni Relations.
15. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
16. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing contacts with colleagues, attending professional development training, and attending training and/or courses as required by the Senior Director of Donor Relations and Special Events.
17. Supports the Office of Development and Alumni Relations by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Director, Donor Relations and Special Events is supervised by the Senior Director of Donor Relations. This position supervises multiple graduate assistants and student employees with the department.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED MAY 2022