TITLE Senior Director of Athletics Development
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1772
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISORS Vice President of University Advancement
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR President
The Senior Director of Athletics Development develops and implements major donor activities including solicitations, gifts-in-kind, and special projects as assigned by the Vice President of University Advancement. The Senior Director of Athletics Development supervises the Director of Athletics Development who has responsibilities including The Bears Fund an athletic fundraising.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor's degree is required, preferably in marketing, public relations, journalism, communications, or a related field.
Experience: At least five years of successful professional experience is required, preferably in higher education development or demonstrated comparable successful track record in a related career.
Skills: Effective oral and written communications skills are required. Management skills such as goal setting and staff supervision, as well as good organizational skills are required. Computer literacy, particularly in word processing and using databases, is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Effort: Occasionally required to lift and carry boxes of materials and equipment weighing twenty-five to fifty pounds.
Other: The scope of the job frequently requires travel and attendance at evening and/or weekend activities, meetings, events, seminars and workshops.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Cultivates and solicits prospective donors and cultivates current donors for major or special gifts under the guidance of the Vice President for University Advancement and conducts the background reading and informal research needed to successfully complete projects assigned.
2. Utilizes an understanding of gift programs such as endowment gifts, athletic gifts, and other giving opportunities available through the Missouri State University Foundation and recognition provided in various gifting level clubs to meet fund-raising goals.
3. Facilitates charitable giving by donors, thus alleviating potential problems which discourage giving, by maintaining currency and proficiency on technical and tax code matters affecting donors and charitable giving, and suggesting options which may best meet both the donors' and the University's desires.
4. Assumes primary responsibility for the Auction Benefiting Athletics and other special events by preparing correspondence and the catalog, acquiring and acknowledging items to be auctioned, managing volunteers, and planning and staffing the event.
5. Facilitates good donor relations by assisting with planning, organizing, and supervising various University-sponsored events keyed to fundraising and gift recognition, representing the University Advancement at functions and meetings as assigned, and working with donors and potential donors, alumni, students, friends and various constituencies of the University to strengthen their ties to Missouri State University.
6. Works with Intercollegiate Athletics’ staff, participates in the Athletics departments’ senior staff meeting as requested by the Athletics Director, and assists with projects and donor calls as requested by the Athletics Director and the Vice President of University Advancement.
7. Facilitates the achievement of established goals by developing and maintaining cordial and professional working relationships with University administrative, support, professional and departmental staffs, and appropriate off-campus constituencies.
8. Assures donor confidentiality as well as the confidentiality of projects and strategies by conducting all personal contacts and communications with donors in a professional manner.
9. Communicates the status of current fund-raising activities to both the public and senior administrators, stimulates interest in gift giving by preparing written materials including proposals, contact reports, brochures, gift acknowledgments, articles, administrative reports, and contributing to the Honor Roll of Donors and alumni publications.
10. Creates opportunities for interaction between the University and alumni and potential donors, thereby enhancing the potential for giving, by representing the University at a wide variety of functions where there is a large concentration of alumni and/or potential donors.
11. Participates as a fully productive member of the professional staff by adhering to all University policies and procedures and the internal policies and procedures of University Advancement and Intercollegiate Athletics.
12. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
13. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Vice President for University Advancement.
14. Contributes to the overall success of University Advancement by assuming primary responsibility for special projects as assigned and performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Senior Director of Athletics Development is supervised by the Vice President for University Advancement and supervises the Director of Athletics Development, Graduate Assistants, and administrative support employees.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED NOVEMBER 2011