TITLE Assistant Director, Student and Young Alumni Engagement
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1767
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Executive Director of Engagement and Alumni Relations
The Assistant Director, Student and Young Alumni Engagement serves as an integral member of the Alumni Relations team, spearheading engagement and education initiatives that lead to lifelong relationships with the university and increase giving participation of students and young alumni. The Assistant Director, Student and Young Alumni is the advisor to the Student Alumni Association and is responsible for the organization’s purpose and growth, assists with planning Homecoming events and student organization reunions, and is responsible for the university’s young alumni engagement strategy overseeing the Young Alumni Council, and partnering with campus colleagues to increase young alumni participation. The Assistant Director, Student and Young Alumni is a key relationship-builder, identifying and creating opportunities to drive philanthropic support for causes which current students and young alumni are most passionate, focusing on three giving initiatives: Senior Class Gift, Bears Give (Giving Day), and student philanthropy initiatives. The Assistant Director, Student and Young Alumni Engagement works under the direction of the Executive Director of Engagement and Alumni Relations.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A bachelor’s degree is required. A master’s degree is preferred. A degree or an advanced degree in an area of business, communication, marketing, hospitality, or related study is preferred.
Experience: At least three years of experience in event planning, fundraising, educational programming, and/or alumni activities, admissions and/or student recruitment activity is preferred. Experience working with high school and college personnel is preferred. Previous successful experience managing volunteers and special events is preferred. Experience writing, editing, and developing promotional materials for publications and events is preferred. Knowledge of Missouri State’s programs and traditions is preferred.
Skills: Exceptional interpersonal skills are required. Outstanding verbal and written communication skills as well as excellent public speaking skills are required. Ability to function independently and without close supervision, be a self-starter committed to follow through, and manage competing priorities is required. Ability to adapt quickly, meet deadlines, and manage change is required. Technology and software proficiency particularly in Microsoft Office, social media, and data analytics is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Effort: This position organizes events and is frequently required to transport boxes of promotional materials and media equipment weighing twenty-five to fifty pounds.
Other: The scope of the job requires travel and attendance at evening and/or weekend activities, meetings, alumni events, athletics-related events, seminars, and workshops.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Responsible for advising and maximizing the Student Alumni Association experience.
2. Collaborates with the Director of Annual Giving and the Division of Student Affairs to establish clear strategies, develop action plans, and set goals and priorities, employing fresh outreach methods and tactics, as well as provide guidance on the approach to student facing marketing efforts.
3. Works closely and effectively with university administrators and faculty members to support young alumni and student engagement programs and demonstrate the importance of a healthy culture of philanthropy in this demographic.
4. Collaborates with Advancement Communications on digital strategies and online updates for young alumni and student communications and events. Leverage social media to engage target populations with segmentation messaging.
5. Coordinates with Advancement Communications to execute communications, brochures, letters, news articles, MSU magazine stories, and various marketing materials.
6. Assists in the oversight of Alumni Association Board of Directors activities to achieve Advancement’s goals and objectives to develop and grow student and young alumni engagement.
7. Serves as a resource to assist student organizations that focus on fundraising and are seeking to increase their impact on the Missouri State campus community.
8. Supervises a Graduate Assistant and provides a meaningful work experience for them to support and impact student and young alumni programs.
9. Determines, compiles, and reports metrics on a recurring basis to demonstrate the student and young alumni program impact on engagement and annual giving participation rate.
10. Assists in the planning of Homecoming by working with the Homecoming Committee and Assistant Director, College and Constituency Engagement.
11. Contributes to the growth and effectiveness of the Missouri State University Alumni Association by researching and implementing best-in-class programs and initiatives.
12. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
13. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the supervisor.
14. Contributes to the overall success of University Advancement by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director of Engagement and Alumni Relations.
The Assistant Director, Student and Young Alumni Engagement reports to the Executive Director of Engagement and Alumni Relations.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES