TITLE Executive Director of Major and Planned Giving
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1763
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Assistant Vice President for University Development and Strategy
The Executive Director of Major & Planned Giving is responsible for the creation of plans, implementation of strategies, the supervision of fundraising programs of the University and supervises staff in major and planned gifts. The incumbent manages numerous development budgets; consults with both current and prospective donors regarding applicable technical and gift planning matters; and serves, as needed, as a staff liaison for the Missouri State University Foundation Board of Trustee’s Development Committee; assists the Assistant Vice President for University Development and Strategy, the Vice President for University Advancement, and the Board of Trustees of the Missouri State University Foundation in conducting other development related business.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor's degree is required. A Master's degree is preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered for substitution of education requirements.
Experience: At least five years of demonstrated successful fundraising and development experience is required, preferably in higher education.
Skills: Excellent written and oral communication skills and a proven record of success and experience in major gift fund raising is required. The ability to project a strong positive image of the University through personal interaction with donors, alumni and friends; demonstrated administrative and organizational skills such as strategic planning, setting deadlines, and evaluating progress is required. A demonstrated ability to organize, motivate, and lead staff and volunteers is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required. Computer literacy, particularly related to word processing and database management is preferred.
Effort: Occasionally required to lift and move boxes of materials and equipment weighing 25-50 pounds.
Other: The job frequently requires travel and attendance at evening and/or weekend activities, meetings, events, seminars and workshops.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides leadership and focus to the Directors of Development and guides the many programs administered by the office through the development and implementation of strategies to meet long- and short-range goals and objectives in the area of development. The incumbent manages numerous development and planned giving budgets and supervises and motivates professional, support, and student staff members, thus ensuring that their work activities are integrated with and supportive of the total development program.
2. Enhances the resources and opportunities available to faculty, staff, and students at the University by developing and implementing fundraising programs for major program needs and capital giving to the University.
3. Provides for current and long-range needs of the University by guiding development staff in major gifts, planned & deferred gifts, and in special campaigns.
4. Enhances donor gift planning and giving by remaining current in areas of gift possibilities available through the Missouri State University Foundation and the current laws and regulations governing such gifts.
5. Facilitates charitable giving to meet the needs of donors and the University by remaining current and proficient on technical and tax code matters affecting donors and charitable giving, and by suggesting options for donors to pursue with financial and planning professionals.
6. Assumes primary responsibility for providing technical support and options regarding planned and deferred gifts.
7. Provides educational opportunities to potential prospects by offering seminars and other intentional communications on planned and deferred giving.
8. Works with the AVP of University Development and Strategy to ensure the planned giving software utilized by the Foundation is up-to-date and communicates effective and timely information.
9. Works with the Executive Director of Engagement and Alumni Relations to develop and implement programs fostering alumni involvement with the University and to encourage meaningful and productive alumni participation.
10. Ensures the appropriate acknowledgement of gifts to the Foundation by coordinating efforts with the Director of Advancement Services.
11. Identifies a stable pool of gift prospects for future giving by cultivating and soliciting prospective donors, as well as current donors (in collaboration with the AVP of University Development and Strategy and the Executive Director of Prospect Development & Research.)
12. Creates opportunities for interaction among the University staff, alumni and potential donors, thereby enhancing the potential for giving, by representing the University at various functions where there is a significant concentration of alumni and/or potential donors.
13. Works with the Senior Director of Donor Relations & Special Events to encourage continued participation of Foundation donors by promoting the activities of The Founders Club, the major donor recognition club, and promoting the activities and recognition provided to donors through the general donor recognition program.
14. In collaboration with the AVP of University Development and Strategy, ensures that volunteer members who serve on the Board of Trustees of the Missouri State University Foundation have a positive experience by serving as a liaison to the Development and Planned Giving Committees and by working with the Board in conducting other development-related activities, as directed by the AVP for University Advancement & Development and Strategy.
15. Supervises the production and distribution of major donor related publications to assure a positive image of the university to support the fundraising goals of the Office of Development.
16. Facilitates a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
17. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the supervisor.
18. Contributes to the overall success of the Office of Development by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Executive Director of Major & Planned Giving is supervised by the Assistant Vice President for University Development and Strategy and supervises the Directors of Development and students working in the Office of Development.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES