TITLE Strategic Communications Specialist, College of Arts and Letters
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1738
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Dean, College of Arts and Letters
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Provost
The Strategic Communications Specialist, College of Arts and Letters (COAL) gathers and disseminates information and news about the College of Arts and Letters to promote faculty and student accomplishments, events, and the University’s public affairs theme. The Strategic Communications Specialist COAL uses invention, imagination, originality, and talent to write and develop print and electronic publications and edit communication materials. The Strategic Communications Specialist COAL helps lead the College of Arts and Letters’ communication team and works closely with staff and faculty in the College of Arts and Letters and Creative Services to develop stories, organize social media initiatives, and assist with the College’s annual magazine publication.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in Communication, Public Relations, Journalism, or a related area is required. A Master’s degree is preferred.
Experience: At least one year of experience in a similar professional setting is required. Work experience in higher education is preferred.
Skills: Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required, including an ability to write for external publications. Strong proofreading and editing skills are required. Organizational, planning, and project management skills are required. Knowledge of word processing and social media applications are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: The scope of the job requires some evening and weekend work. Occasional overnight, out-of-town travel is required. Extended periods of time working at a computer workstation is required. The position uses computer monitors and keyboards to write and edit documents.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Helps promote a positive image of the College to key internal and external audiences by preparing and disseminating stories that feature academic programs, events, as well as student, faculty, and staff achievements.
2. Writes and edits content for various College publications and social media applications.
3. Assists in the leadership of the College of Arts and Letters communication team.
4. Leads the development of an annual publication for the College.
5. Ensures timely and effective production by working closely with writers, editors, photographers, and designers to coordinate production schedules and complete projects on time.
6. Provides visibility for the University locally, regionally, and nationally by cultivating expert sources within the College to help promote faculty, staff, and programs.
7. Supports overall office and College operations by performing professional services as assigned, such as writing for publications, coordinating special events, training and supervising student employees as assigned, and editing and approving the work of student staff as assigned.
8. Utilizes and assists in managing social medial interactions to enhance communication with the public, as well as specific target audiences.
9. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures of backgrounds.
10. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the Dean of the College of Arts and Letters.
11. Contributes to the overall success of the College of Arts and Letters by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Strategic Communications Specialist, COAL is supervised by the Dean of the College of Arts and Letters and assists in supervising student employees.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED OCTOBER 2016