TITLE Assistant Director, Editorial Services
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1737
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director, Creative Services
The Assistant Director, Editorial Services serves as chief writer and copywriter for recruitment, development, and alumni materials and serves as a leader and main voice in the application of the Missouri State brand and editorial style across the university. The Assistant Director, Editorial Services is the managing editor of Missouri State magazine and Foundation reports and is the main writer for variable data deployed in print and digital media. The Assistant Director, Editorial Services creates content that drives the university’s strategic messaging directed to audiences, including prospective students, alumni, and donors.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in English, Communication, Journalism, Public Relations or a related area is required.
Experience: At least three years of experience as a professional writer and copy editor is required. Experience writing for a brand, experience with persuasive copywriting, and experience writing personality profiles are preferred. Experience leading small groups and projects is preferred.
Skills: Proficiency with Microsoft Office, desktop publishing, and editing software is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required. Proficiency in Associated Press Style is preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Writes and edits materials for print and digital to recruit students, raise funds, build relationships, and raise the profile of the university.
2. Interviews faculty, staff, donors, alumni, and students to develop written content that are readable, memorable, unique to Missouri State, and direct the reader to act.
3. Works with designers to select photographs and design elements based on story needs and university priorities.
4. Leads writing efforts to create a clear, cohesive voice for all Missouri State as one of the main voices of Missouri State brands and editorial style.
5. Serves as managing editor of Missouri State magazine and Foundation reports.
6. Manages the university’s online editorial style guide and readability standards.
7. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
8. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the supervisor.
9. Contributes to the overall success of Creative Services and performs all duties assigned.
The Assistant Director, Editorial Services is supervised by the Director, Creative Services and supervises graduate assistants and student employees.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES