TITLE Assistant Director, Creative Services-Photography
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1730
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director, Creative Services
The Assistant Director, Creative Services - Photography plans, prioritizes and coordinates resources to visually illustrate campus life. The Assistant Director, Creative Services-Photography assists in the production of multi-image and multi-media presentations for promotional use by the University and manages the University’s digital asset management system for still photographs.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: At least one year of college credit in a related field is required. A Bachelor's degree with emphasis in photography, art or related field is preferred.
Experience: At least two years of professional photography experience in assignment shooting and studio experience is required and must include experience in conventional film and print processing, electronic imaging, and post production. Experience in multi-image and multi-media work is preferred. Management and supervisory experience is preferred.
Skills: The skill level demonstrated must be that of an experienced photographer with demonstrated abilities in composition, creativity, proper digital darkroom techniques, color, and black and white photography. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required. Management skills such as staff supervision, scheduling, inventory control, and property control are preferred.
Effort: This position operates and transports cameras, video, and sound equipment weighing up to fifty pounds to locations on and off-campus.
Other: The scope of job frequently requires attendance at evening and/or weekend activities, plus occasional travel to workshops, tournaments and seminars.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Uses originality, talent and imagination to produce the desired photographic results of clients by consulting with individuals making photographic requests, determining needs and desired results, posing subjects and arranging objects in the most favorable setting to attain goals as determined by the projects' needs, taking into account lighting, background and other influencing conditions, and adjusting cameras, attachments and lights as appropriate.
2. Prioritizes requests for photographic services and assigns projects to student employee staff.
3. Creates photographs of a variety of events, including sporting events, faculty and staff, campus and landscapes scenes, campus activities, art objects, buildings, individuals, groups and other items deemed necessary to the University by properly using general and special purpose camera equipment (35mm and larger formats with various lenses).
4. Advises University clients on the production, use and installation of display photography and oversees the production of large-scale display graphic images.
5. Develops an effective staff by recruiting, hiring and training student employees in the use of photographic equipment, lighting and digital archiving, scheduling their work hours and making assignments, supervising their work activities and evaluating and critiquing the results of assignments.
4. Processes cash received, generates invoices for chargebacks and oversees the operation of online purchases through the digital asset management system.
5. Leads web-based digital archiving efforts to increase access to the University’s photographic assets.
6. Oversees the maintenance and inventory of photographic equipment.
7. Facilitates a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
8. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as required by the Director, Creative Services.
9. Contributes to the overall success of the Division of Marketing and Communications by performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Director, Creative Services.
The Assistant Director, Creative Services-Photography is supervised by the Director, Creative Services and functions with independence within the framework of stated objectives, and supervises student employees.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED AUGUST 2021