TITLE Director of Visual Media
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1728
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Vice President for Marketing and Communications
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR President
The Director of Visual Media is responsible for visually illustrating campus life. The Director of Visual Media assists in the production of multi‑media presentations for promotional use by the University, provides standard photographic services to the University community, including still photography, video production, digital processing, and printing for web, new media, and publication uses, and maintains a library of photographic images for use in promotional publications and displays.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education/Experience: A Bachelor's degree and at least five years of supervisory experience in photographic management, including, print pre-press and web image workflow, video production and editing, and archiving principals or a high school diploma and at least ten years of supervisory experience in photographic management, including, print pre-press and web image workflow, video production and editing, and archiving principals is required.
Skills: The skill level demonstrated should be that of a seasoned and well‑trained photographer. The ability to manage and coordinate full-time and student staff, scheduling, inventory control, property control, project origination, project supervision, project completion, and delegation of projects is required. Skill in web authoring is required. Multi-media production skills are required. Experience with digital asset management systems is required. Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Photoshop, and digital asset management software is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Effort: This position operates and transports cameras, video, and sound equipment weighing up to fifty pounds to locations on and off-campus.
Other: The scope of job frequently requires attendance at evening and/or weekend activities, plus occasional travel to workshops, tournaments and seminars.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Facilitates the achievement of the University's communications needs with its various constituencies by visually illustrating campus life through determining a course of action for all photographic and video needs for promotional use by the University websites, publications, and presentations.
2. Creates photographs and videos of a variety of events, including sporting events, faculty and staff, campus and landscapes scenes, campus activities, art objects, buildings, individuals, groups, and other items deemed necessary to the University.
3. Oversees integrated photographic and video productions to meet client requests and University needs.
4. Manages funds by planning, developing, and controlling the departmental budget, negotiating and purchasing University photography, video, and computer equipment, and maintaining the office inventory.
5. Ensures that the Office of Visual Media continues to provide essential photographic and video services to the University and its departments by prioritizing the limited resources of the department to determine the manpower and resources needed for each request for service and determining if the service requested is within the University's best interest and/or that of the department.
6. Ensures convenient access and retrieval of photographic files by developing systems and procedures for maintaining the files of the department, including researching, deploying, and managing a digital management system, maintaining a conscious effort to protect the right to privacy by not displaying images not suitable for campus use, and maintaining a web presence and maintaining the office web pages which includes office information, ordering information, all forms required for communication, images for browsing and purchasing, and developing training for staff and users of the web site.
7. Develops an effective staff of professional and student employees by hiring qualified applicants, training staff in operation of the department, scheduling student work hours, supervising work activities as needed, and evaluating their performance.
8. Cooperates as an active partner with professionals in other areas of Marketing and Communications, including University Communications, Web Strategy and Development, Creative Services and Athletics Communications to meet their photographic and video needs by consulting with the individual departments regarding specific photographic needs, planning strategies to meet those needs, and producing the photographs, either from internal or external sources, that meet the projects' needs.
9. Develops short‑ and long‑term plans and goals for growth in the Office of Visual Media by receiving appropriate guidance, analyzing and translating the guidance into short-term and long-term goals, designing an action plan which communicates intermediate objectives and milestones, and evaluating progress towards achieving those stated goals.
10. Establishes a workflow procedure to ensure timely and quality production of photographs and videos that align with policies.
11. Oversees quality of product when engaging outside resources for photographic and video services.
12. Assists in promoting a positive image of the University and its departments by serving as the caretaker and coordinator of the University photographic displays and loaning them to departments on request.
13. Facilitates a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds and demonstrates commitment to promoting a diverse environment.
14. Maintains competence, currency, and fluency in the discipline through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues and attending professional development courses and workshops.
15. Contributes to the overall success of the Division of Marketing and Communications by completing special projects and performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Vice President for Marketing and Communications.
The Director of Visual Media is supervised by the Vice President for Marketing and Communications and functions with independence within the framework of stated objectives. The Director supervises professional staff and student photographers.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED DECEMBER 2014