TITLE Digital Marketing Strategist
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1721
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director, Strategic Communication
The Digital Marketing Strategist works with the Digital Marketing Coordinator to plan, execute, and measure University digital marketing campaigns that drive student enrollment and advance the University’s strategic goals, visibility, and reputation. The Digital Marketing Strategist writes or edits digital marketing content; purchases and places Google search,display, and social media ads; and monitors and optimizes ad performance. By staying current on trends and online audience behaviors and preferences, the Digital Marketing Strategist proactively suggests new strategies in the creation and implementation of content for various paid search and social media platforms. The person in this role provides back-up social media support for the University and is a member of the crisis communication team.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A bachelor’s degree granted prior to the start date of the position in marketing, advertising, public relations, or a closely-related field is required.
Experience: At least one year of work experience in a professional marketing, advertising or closely-related field is required. Part-time work in a similar professional setting can be substituted at a rate of half of the time served. Experience purchasing and placing social media and Google ads is preferred. Experience with marketing writing is preferred. Experience with Google Analytics is preferred.
Skills: Excellent organizational, time-management and project management skills are required. Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills are required. Strong proofreading and editing skills are required. Knowledge of word processing is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: The scope of the job requires occasional evening and weekend work. Occasional overnight or out-of-town travel is required. Extended periods working at a computer workstation are required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Purchases and places social media ads and Google search and display ads.
2. Assists with the planning, execution, and measurement of University digital marketing campaigns.
3. Assists in the preparation of multi-platform, integrated communications plans that support short- and long-term University initiatives.
4. Uses analytics to optimize performance and return on investment (ROI).
5. Integrates social media advertising campaigns and content strategy into other digital advertising initiatives, admissions campaigns, email campaigns, etc. for maximum reach and performance.
6. Helps to promote the University to prospective students by writing or editing copy for recruitment communication products including ads, emails, website content, and stories.
7. Provides back up social media coverage on a rotating basis.
8. Serves on the crisis communication team to disseminate timely messages through digital platforms in the event of campus emergency.
9. Provides training and coaching to other University communicators.
10. Researches creative trends in the marketplace and applies that knowledge to University brand messaging.
11. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
12. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the Director of Strategic Communication.
13. Contributes to the overall success of the Division of Marketing and Communications by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Digital Marketing Strategist is supervised by the Director of Strategic Communication and the Digital Marketing Coordinator.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED DECEMBER 2021