TITLE Vietnam Admissions Coordinator
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1704
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director of China Programs
The Vietnam Admissions Coordinator reviews and evaluates academic credentials, financial resources, and English language proficiency of prospective students from Vietnam to determine eligibility for admission to the University and the acceptability of documentation for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Form I-20 and U.S. Department of State Form DS-2019. The Coordinator evaluates courses taken at Vietnamese and other international institutions for transfer credit and GPA requirement, advises students about admission and U.S. immigration laws and regulations, monitors student status, and evaluates actions to be taken when a student’s status changes. The Vietnam Admissions Coordinator plans, organizes, and implements marketing, communications, and recruitment efforts in Vietnam by studying target market conditions to identify learning needs and direct marketing efforts to support the growth of international enrollment. The Coordinator serves as a liaison between MSU and Vietnamese universities, high schools, businesses and recruiting agents by providing language translation and cultural guidance. The Coordinator also provides a variety of academic and student support services to MSU international students. Continuation of this position is dependent on sufficient revenue being generated by ILTC programs.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A master's degree is required.
Experience: Interest in and the ability to work with individuals from Vietnam and a large variety of world cultures are required. Familiarity with the Student Exchange Visitors Program (SEVP) and the Department of Homeland Security policies and procedures regarding international student admission is required. Experience of working in an application admission portal such as SLATE or other comparable application software is required. Experience in international student recruitment and/or admissions is required. At least one year of administrative experience in a university setting is required; work experience in a Vietnamese institution of higher education is preferred. Experience in translation and interpretation is required.
Skills: Verbal and written fluency in English as well as Vietnamese is required. Effective interpersonal skills are required. Knowledge of both U.S. and Southeast Asian culture and customs is required. Strong analytical, communication, and critical-thinking skills are required. Demonstrated skill in the use of Microsoft Office applications is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES1. Represents Missouri State University internationally (with an emphasis on Vietnam) in establishing and maintaining relationships with universities, high schools, businesses, recruiting agents, and professional associations that are current or potential sources for program participants in MSU international education and training programs.
2. Provides expertise in developing culturally appropriate messaging for marketing and promotional materials produced by MSU’s Office of International Programs and provides Vietnamese language translation of marketing and promotional materials and content for print, website, and social media channels.
3. Facilitates achievement of established goals and objectives for Vietnamese student enrollment by evaluating and processing applications, obtaining information needed to evaluate courses and transcripts from Vietnamese educational institutions, and determining the equivalency of those courses and transcripts for transfer credit.
4. Determines the validity and acceptability of the student’s financial resources and the adequacy of the student’s English language proficiency by using University and U.S. Department of Homeland Security criteria.
5. Provides academic and cultural support services to Vietnamese students and all international students.6. Serves as a liaison between the University, the student or prospective student, and Vietnamese consular posts in the U.S. as well as U.S. consular posts in Vietnam.
7. Facilitates access by supporting the application, admission, enrollment, and orientation of international students at MSU.
8. Advises enrolled international students regarding accomplishing their educational goals while maintaining immigration status by providing information, monitoring student status, and advising students of possible courses of action and consequences of actions.
9. Encourages increased cultural awareness of students, faculty, staff, and the local community by assisting with planning and coordination of special events relating to cultural awareness.
10. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
11. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the supervisor.12. Helps to ensure the overall success and growth of MSU International Programs by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Vietnam Admissions Coordinator is supervised by the Director of China Programs and will supervise the work of graduate assistants and student workers.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES