TITLE International Services Coordinator
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1700
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director of International Services Office
The International Services Coordinator advises prospective and current international students, Processes international admissions, and manages federal regulatory requirements and document issuance for both F and J Visa holders. The International Services Coordinator acts as a Designated School Official (DSO and Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) in the Office of International Services. The International Services Coordinator maintains and processes student immigration records in the Student and Exchange Visitors Information System (SEVIS) database and the International Student and Scholar Management system (ISSM The International Services Coordinator supports international admissions workflow to include foreign credential evaluation and document management.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A bachelor’s degree is required; a master’s degree is preferred.
Experience: At least one year of experience working with SEVIS as it pertains to F and J visa holders is required. Previous international credential evaluation experience is preferred. Previous or current working knowledge of processing systems such as Banner and ISSM is preferred. Prior experience working with an international clientele is preferred. At least one year of work experience in higher education in the United States is preferred.
Skills: Effective cross-cultural and interpersonal communication skills are required. Effective organizational skills and attention to detail are required. A working knowledge of spreadsheet, and database applications is required. Knowledge of U.S. Immigration and Customs regulatory policy as it relates to international student admissions and enrollment is required. Strong verbal and written communication skills are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures and backgrounds is required. Knowledge of recruitment and admission procedures and policies is preferred.
Other: Must be U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident, eligible by law to access and use SEVIS.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Ensures compliance with Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations by keeping abreast of current immigration regulatory requirements and utilizing the SEVIS system as it pertains to F-1 Students and J-1 Students at Missouri State University.
2. Admits and supports (F and J Visa holders) students as it pertains to their immigration, academic, cross-cultural, and financial needs at the University, including application processing, advisement, and orientation.
3. Determines the validity and acceptability of the student’s financial resources by using University and U.S. Department of Homeland Security criteria
4. Prepares DHS/USCIS/SEVIS documents requested and required for F-1 and J-1 Students and assists F-1and J-1 Students with USCIS applications, requests, and/or correspondence.
5. Utilizes an understanding of U.S. immigration laws and regulations to facilitate requests from students regarding immigration status.
6. Assists in the planning and implementation of New International Student Orientation.
7. Enhances the ability of International Services to accomplish the mission of the department by designing and assisting with the development of systems and processes to improve workflow and automating routing processes.
8. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
9. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the Director of International Services.
10. Contributes to the overall success of International Services by performing all other duties as assigned.
The International Services Coordinator is supervised by the Director of International Services Office and may supervise graduate assistants and student employees.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED OCTOBER 2021