TITLE English Language Institute Admissions Specialist
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1693
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director of the International Center
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Associate Provost for Student Development and Public Affairs
The English Language Institute Admissions Specialist reviews and evaluates academic credentials, financial resources, and related application documents of prospective students from other countries in order to determine eligibility for admission to the ELI and, when applicable, conditional admission to the University. The English Language Institute Admissions Specialist determines the acceptability of documentation for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Form I-20 and U.S. Department of State Form DS-2019. The English Language Institute Admissions Specialist communicates with prospective students, prepares admissions documents, inputs student information to generate I-20 forms, maintains records in the Student Exchange Visitors Information Tracking System (SEVIS) as required by the Department of Homeland Security, and advises ELI students on immigration issues. The English Language Institute Admissions Specialist works with the Director of the International Center to manage ELI student enrollment and retention and provides general administrative support services for the department.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education/Experience: A high school diploma or the equivalent and four years of experience involving international student admissions at the university level or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Experience using the Student Exchange Visitors Information Tracking System (SEVIS) is preferred. Experience in cross-cultural communication is preferred.
Skills: Computer literacy is required. Basic math skills and attention to detail are required. The ability to work independently as well as with a team is required. Strong oral and written communication skills as well as excellent interpersonal skills are required. Interest in and the ability to work with individuals from a large variety of U.S. and world cultures is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required. Knowledge of admission procedures and policies regarding international students and the SEVIS program is preferred. Familiarity with languages other than English is preferred.
Effort: Considerable data entry work is required. The position requires extended periods at a computer station and extensive utilization of information displayed on a computer monitor.
Other: Must be U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident, eligible by law to access the Student Exchange Visitors Tracking System (SEVIS).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Determines the admissibility of applicants by researching, processing, and evaluating international student application materials, performing research to obtain information needed to evaluate complex transcripts from educational systems outside the U.S. with curriculum and grading which are different from U.S. systems and can be different from other institutions within the same country, and evaluating the acceptability of the student’s financial resources and the adequacy of the student’s financial resources and other application documents according to University and U.S. Department of Homeland Security criteria.
2. Provides administrative support services to the department such as purchasing supplies, processing tuition and fees, preparing payment requests, reserving rooms, answering the phone and greeting customers, etc.
3. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
4. Remains competent and current through attending professional development courses and attending training and/or courses required by the supervisor.
5. Contributes to the overall success of the International Center by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The English Language Institute Admissions Specialist is supervised the Director of the International Center and may supervise students, graduate assistants, and/or part-time staff.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED JANUARY 2017