TITLE Immigration Support Coordinator
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1692
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director of International Services
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Associate Vice President for International Programs
The Immigration Support Coordinator advises and assists international students and scholars regarding cross-cultural, financial, academic, and immigration issues/concerns, maintains the Student and Exchange Visitors Information System (SEVIS) database and the FSA Atlas database, and is responsible for the reporting requirements of both databases. The Immigration Support Coordinator leads the SEVIS effort in processing immigration documents related to passports, visas, employment authorizations, changes in legal status, and transfers to and from other academic institutions. The Immigration Support Coordinator monitors all F and J (students and scholars) visa holders at the University, assists with International Student and Scholar Orientation, and assists with the admissions process for international students.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor’s Degree is required. Master’s degree in Student Personnel Services, Student Affairs or related field preferred.
Experience: One year of work experience in higher education in the United States is required. Experience working with SEVIS as it pertains to F and J visa holders is required. Previous international credential evaluation experience is preferred. Previous or current working knowledge of processing systems such as Banner and FSA Atlas is preferred. Prior experience working with internationals preferred.
Skills: Effective Cross-cultural and interpersonal communication skills are required. A working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications is required. Knowledge of recruitment and admission procedures and policies is required. Strong verbal and written communication skills as well as excellent interpersonal skills are required. Familiarity with languages other than English is preferred. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures and backgrounds is required.
Other: Must be U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident, eligible by law to access and use SEVIS.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Ensures compliance of Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations by keeping abreast of current immigration regulatory requirements and utilizing the SEVIS system as it pertains to F-1 Students and J-1 Students and Scholars at Missouri State University
2. Advises students and scholars as it pertains to their academic, cross-cultural, and financial needs at the University.
3. Advises and guides students in regard to their visa type and the regulations and/or benefits attached to their status.
4. Prepares DHS/USCIS/SEVIS documents requested and required for F-1 Students and J-1 Students and Scholars.
5. Assists F-1Students and J-1 Students and Scholars with USCIS applications, requests, and/or correspondence.
6. Assists in the planning and implementation of International Student Orientation, employment workshops, and cross-cultural activities.
7. Assists in the admissions process by performing international credential evaluation as needed.
8. Assists with establishing and updating departmental policies and procedures to assure compliance with DHS/USCIS.
9. Contributes to the overall success of International Services by providing excellent customer service to F-1 Students and J-1 Students and Scholars.
10. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
11. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the Director of International Services.
12. Contributes to the overall success of International Services by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Immigration Support Coordinator is supervised by the Director of International Services and may supervise full-time employees, graduate assistants, and student employees.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED OCTOBER 2013