TITLE Internal Auditor
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1661
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director of Internal Audit
The Internal Auditor is responsible for performing internal audit assignments of University departments and activities under the supervision of the Director of Internal Audit. Assignments vary in complexity and are carried out with supervision from the Director of Internal Audit, and, as assigned, from the Senior Internal Auditor. The Internal Auditor reviews and analyzes transactions, documents, records, reports and accounts relating to University operations and functions and prepares acceptable working papers and audit reports of findings. Special reviews and projects may be assigned as requested by the Board of Governors and University administrators.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field is required. Certification
as a CPA or CIA is preferred.
Experience: At least one year of experience in auditing, public accounting, or
Governmental accounting is required.
Skills: Strong verbal, analytical, and written communications skills are required. A functional knowledge of the use of computers in internal auditing, the ability to research, collect, organize and maintain accurate records/data, the ability to work at times with little supervision, to meet deadlines, to solve problems, and to make appropriate recommendations is required. Professionalism, initiative, and objectivity under all circumstances are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Under the direction of the Director of Internal Audit (and as assigned under the direction of the Senior Internal Auditor), performs internal audit activities in compliance with established guidelines and principles of auditing by understanding and documenting business processes, interpreting University policies and procedures, governance practices, and regulatory obligations, evaluating compliance with laws, policies, procedures, and regulation by comparing operating practices with established norms, and supporting the safeguarding of assets by reviewing the internal controls over those assets and verifying the existence of such assets.
2. Assesses various activities to identify potential operational, financial, or compliance risks or potential fraud which warrant audit attention.
3. Prepares acceptable work papers by researching, compiling, and analyzing data to be presented within internal audit reports.
4. Effectively communicates the results of audit activities by preparing well documented summaries of audit findings.
5. Participates in departmental and employee education in the area of internal controls and policy and in monitoring audit actions taken by management.
6. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
7. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as required by the Director of Internal Audit.
8. Contributes to the overall success of the University by working as a team member on audits and special projects and performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Internal Auditor is supervised by the Director of Internal Audit.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES