TITLE Director, Sponsorships and Educational Programs
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1485
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Senior Associate Athletic Director – Athletics and Entertainment Facilities
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Director of Athletics
The primary job duty of the Director, Sponsorships and Educational Programs is to call on underwriters and advertisers in order to obtain advertising contracts and partnership agreements for underwriting shows. The Director, Sponsorships and Educational Programs prepares and presents partnership agreements (underwriting proposals), negotiates different levels of services based on various levels of underwriting support, delivers mementos to purchasers of advertising, manages donor recognition, and plans and implements donor relations efforts as part of the community relations and marketing plan. The Director, Sponsorships and Educational Programs is responsible for planning, directing, and managing the education programs and facilitates the development of partnerships in the arts between the University and area schools.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor’s degree is required; a Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Education, or an arts-related field is preferred.
Experience: One year of experience with marketing, development activities, event planning, and/or sales is required. Some teaching experience is preferred.
Skills: Strong verbal and written communication skills are required. Excellent interpersonal skills are required. Organizational skills, particularly in planning and executing underwriting, patron, and advertising campaigns are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required. Computer literacy, particularly in the use of databases, word processing, and Power Point is strongly preferred.
Other: A valid Missouri driver’s license is required. The scope of the job occasionally requires working beyond an eight hour work day to complete special projects. Travel from the Springfield area may be required to call on some prospects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Seeks underwriting support from businesses and individuals of performances at Juanita K. Hammons Hall for the Performing Arts by using current lists of donors and new business leads generated from research or contact within the community through civic organizations, managing the Performance Society list of donors, developing and targeting new donors through direct mailings and personal calls, maintaining website information regarding giving opportunities, organizing donor appreciation events such as private Performance Society receptions and the Preview Party, and distributing mementos to donors.
2. Generates advertising sales by pursuing new advertising leads, making cold calls to possible advertisers, developing a database of advertisers, maintaining relationships with advertising agencies, approving advertising copy, and communicating with advertisers about prior approval and receipt of finished ad products.
3. Secures funding support for the Juanita K. Hammons Hall for the Performing Arts from foundations, governmental grants, and corporate sponsors by performing research and preparing grant applications, representing Juanita K. Hammons Hall for the Performing Arts at workshops and town hall meetings sponsored by Missouri Arts Council and the Mid-America Arts Alliance, maintaining effective working relationships with representatives from granting agencies, and coordinating with the Business Manager and Office of Sponsored Research and Programs to process and implement grant proposals.
4. Raises the profile of Juanita K. Hammons Hall for the Performing Arts and develops new donors and advertisers by involvement in local civic organizations, developing community relations efforts, and overseeing meetings of the advisory committee, managing the membership, and directing nominations for memberships and officers within the committee.
5. Ensures the success of the University’s commitment to an effective arts education program in area schools by planning, developing, and implementing annual educational programs that meet the needs and interests of teachers and students regarding the integration of the arts into the public school curriculum, assisting in developing funding sources for such education programs, and assisting in marketing all educational programs.
6. Facilitates the development and maintenance of partnerships between the College of Arts and Letters, Juanita K. Hammons Hall for the Performing Arts, the Springfield Public Schools, area schools, and associates by coordinating school outreach activities for appropriate events, developing promotional materials to market performance/events appropriate for school age children, identifying means of arts programming selection, and contracting educational events and programs.
7. Develops appropriate public arts education programs by defining the scope of such programs and developing the method for selection of program instructors/artists.
8. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
9. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as required by the Senior Associate Athletic Director – Athletics and Entertainment Facilities.
10. Contributes to the overall success of the Juanita K. Hammons Hall for the Performing Arts by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Director, Sponsorships and Educational Programs is supervised by the Senior Associate Athletic Director – Athletics and Entertainment Facilities and supervises student employees and/or other part-time employees as assigned.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED AUGUST 2016