TITLE Arena Patron and Event Services Coordinator
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1481
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Senior Associate Athletics Director, Athletics and Entertainment Facilities
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR President
The Arena Patron and Event Services Coordinator coordinates the subcontracting of security, catering, hotel services, transportation services, piano tuning, and other necessary materials or services in compliance with artist or rental contracts. The Arena Patron and Event Services Coordinator assures the proper invoicing of performing groups for the cost of labor and materials. The Arena Patron and Event Services Coordinator represents the Arena for various projects and events, maintains the venue calendar, and interfaces with potential promoters regarding rental dates at the Arena. The Arena Patron and Event Services Coordinator also has oversight of the suite operations at JQH Arena and Plaster Sports Complex in order to maintain positive contact with suite owners and premium seat holders to assure quality relationships with the University. The Arena Patron and Event Services Coordinator maintains records of lease terms and requirements and assists in the marketing and sales of premium seats at both venues. The Arena Patron and Event Services Coordinator oversees the Spirit Squads and coaches the Sugar Bears.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor's degree is required; a degree in an arts or business field is preferred.
Experience: At least one year experience is required in positions that required daily contact with the public. One year of supervisory experience is preferred. Box office, guest services, hotel concierge, or related work experience in the entertainment or sports industry is preferred.
Skills: Excellent interpersonal as well as strong oral and written communications skills are required. Organizational and management skills are required. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
Other: The scope of the job frequently requires attendance at evening and/or weekend activities, performances, lectures, and/or rehearsals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Coordinates events conducted in the JQH Arena by managing the subcontracting of security, catering, transportation services, piano tuning, and other necessary materials or services in compliance with artist or rental contracts, scheduling receptions, meetings, workshops, and similar events at the Arena, maintaining the master calendar of events, and arranging tours hosted by the Arena for visitors and guests.
2. Promotes productive and maximum utilization of the facilities of the JQH Arena by representing the Arena for various projects and events and recommending ways in which the Arena can participate in and support the project or event’s efforts.
3. Manages daily relations and additional ticketing services for all premium seat holders by assisting with ticketing and customer service and scheduling and organizing staff for events at the assigned venues.
4. Helps to assure that premium seat holders receive good customer service and have a positive experience when visiting the venues through an emphasis in customer service techniques, monitoring the performance of staff, complying with customer requests to the extent possible, and using discretion and independent judgment in solving problems quickly and to the satisfaction of the customer.
5. Facilitates ticket sales by maintaining and accurately preparing for the sale of tickets, charting by section, row, and seat number, indicating available seating for events and performances, and printing individual tickets.
6. Assists in the development of an effective and efficient box office staff by selecting qualified student workers, training them in box office operations and customer service, providing appropriate supervision, enforcing operational policies and procedures published in a box office operations manual, and evaluating work performance.
7. Safeguards ticket receipts by properly accounting for all cash received with respect to any additional ticket sales, maintaining accurate bookkeeping records regarding sales, and making deposits of ticket receipts appropriately.
8. Contributes to the marketing effort of the JQH Arena, Hammons Student Center, Plaster Sports Complex, and intercollegiate athletics by assisting in the development of marketing and promotional activities which are cost efficient and increase revenues, recommending improved box office operational methods and procedures, preparing reports for marketing staff, and assisting in mailing of seasonal brochures to season ticket holders, corporate and business sponsors, other constituencies and the general public.
9. Oversees the Spirit Squads (Cheer program, Sugar Bears, and Boomer’s Crew), including the hiring and management of coaches, managing the budget, and overseeing all aspects of the Spirit Squads.
10. Recruits and selects the Sugar Bears and prepares them for game, community, and competition responsibilities.
11. Develops and assists with regular practice schedules and organizes practice time to provide both individual and team development of Spirit Squads.
12. Abides by and complies with National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and Missouri Valley Conference rules, academic standards, requirements, and policies of the University, and all guidelines and policies of the Athletics department and reports any concerns of compromise or violation of rules, standards, guidelines or policies to the Director of Athletics or the Associate Director of Athletics for Compliance.
13. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
14. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Executive Director.
15. Contributes to the overall success of the JQH Arena by performing special projects and all other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director.
The Arena Patron and Event Services Coordinator reports to the Senior Associate Athletics Director, Athletics and Entertainment Facilities and supervises student employees.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED NOVEMBER 2015