TITLE Box Office Manager
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1470
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Senior Associate Director of Athletics, Athletic and Entertainment Facilities
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Director of Athletics
The primary job duty of the Box Office Manager is management of the Missouri State TIX box office operations. he Box Office Manager prepares financial settlements with the artists and/or promoters in any of the Missouri State University athletic and entertainment venues. The Box Office Manager maintains accounting records for all cash received in the Missouri State TIX system through verification of daily cash reports and maintenance of accurate accounting documents, reviews and prepares box office financial reports and statements for Athletics, and shows end of year closings.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education/Experience: A high school diploma or the equivalent and at least seven years of box office management experience or a Bachelor's degree in General Business, Accounting, or related field and at least three years of experience in box office or business administration positions which included responsibility for handling large sums of money, bookkeeping, and/or accounting work is required.
Skills: Strong verbal and written communication skills are required. Excellent interpersonal skills, particularly in dealing with the public, are required. Computer literacy, with knowledge of programs utilizing spreadsheet applications, is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: The scope of the job frequently requires attendance at evening and/or weekend activities, performances, and athletic events.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Ensures that box office operations contribute to the success of the athletic and entertainment venues and athletics by establishing and monitoring financial controls, establishing and monitoring cash handling policies and procedures, preparing and executing financial settlements with the artists and/or promoters in any of the Missouri State University athletic and entertainment venues and off-campus venues where the Missouri State Ticket Office may be utilized, maintaining records of sales against cash receipts by event, and overseeing the computerized ticketing system utilized by the Missouri State TIX system.
2. Serves as contact person for communication with the online ticketing vendor, responding to inquiries concerning productions and events, and identifying and resolving problems and customer complaints.
3. Establishes, oversees, and monitors the procedures for securing and processing ticket receipts by proper accounting for all cash received in the Missouri State TIX system, verifying daily cash reports, maintaining accurate bookkeeping documents regarding sales, and assuring the deposit of ticket receipts appropriately.
4. Works with the Missouri State TIX ticketing provider as well as independently to build shows in the ticketing system and works with artists and promoters to build scalings, pre-sales, and on-sales.
5. Prepares various box office reports for all athletic teams that utilize the Missouri State TIX ticketing system and all other reports as needed by the athletic department for NCAA, league conference, grant reporting, etc.
6. Assists in the preparing and closing of entertainment settlement accounts including but not limited to wire transfers, budget transfers, and sales tax reports.
7. Assists in the administration of the athletic and entertainment venues and athletics by coordinating the flow of all reports and documents which require the attention of the Senior Associate Director of Athletics, Athletic and Entertainment Facilities or the Athletics Director.
8. Oversees the box office budget and ensures that expenditures stay within budget.
9. Participates as a fully productive member of the professional staff by coordinating and consulting with other departments as appropriate.
10. Oversees the daily operations of the box office including, but not limited to, scheduling, training, recruiting, and selection.
11. Facilitates a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
12. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as required by the Senior Associate Director of Athletics, Athletic and Entertainment Facilities.
13. Contributes to the overall success of box office operations by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Box Office Manager is supervised by the Senior Associate Director of Athletics, Athletic and Entertainment Facilities, supervises full-time, part-time, and student workers, and makes recommendations which are given particular weight regarding the hiring, firing, advancement, promotion, and other changes of status of those supervised.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED DECEMBER 2016