TITLE Director of Marketing and Promotions
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1455
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Executive Director, Juanita K. Hammons Hall for the Performing Arts, Hammons Student Center, and Plaster Student Center
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR President
The primary job duty of the Director of Marketing and Promotions is the planning, development, and implementation of the marketing, advertising, promotional, and public relations efforts for the Juanita K. Hammons Hall for the Performing Arts. The Director of Marketing and Promotions oversees the securing of in-kind support for performances present by the Hall through media underwriting partnerships.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor's degree with an emphasis in Marketing, Communications, or an Arts discipline is required. A Master's degree in similar disciplines is preferred.
Experience: Five years of professional employment in marketing, the arts, and/or a related field is required. A thorough knowledge of promotions, advertising, print and electronic media, print production, and audience development are required. An understanding of the performing arts is preferred.
Skills: Management skills, particularly in handling multiple tasks simultaneously, are required. Excellent oral and written communications skills and interpersonal skills are required. Supervisory skills are required. Computer literacy, specifically word processing, is required. Brochure development, statistical analysis, and copywriting skills are preferred.
Other: The scope of the job frequently requires attendance at evening and/or weekend activities, performances, lectures, and/or rehearsals.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Ensures productive and maximum utilization of the facilities of the Juanita K. Hammons Hall for the Performing Arts by planning and directing annual and seasonal marketing and advertising campaigns targeted towards selling subscriptions, group sales, and individual tickets, planning and implementing comprehensive, long-range marketing and advertising goals for the Hall, developing and initiating publicity and public relations campaigns, marketing plans, and related materials for the Hall and its various programs that inform the students and community about the programs sponsored by the Hall.
2. Promotes the program of scheduled performances for the Hall by initiating and monitoring public information for all events, coordinating advertising through the preparation and placement of various media advertisements (electronic and print), serving as copywriter and editor for a wide range of printed promotional materials, and overseeing the preparation of printed programs.
3. Secures significant in-kind funding support for the Hall from media partners by overseeing the preparation of proposals for media underwriting.
4. Oversees creation and production of promotional materials by working with University Creative Services designers on major season print pieces, supervising an in-house graphics designer to produce newspaper and other print ad pieces and support materials for various Hall operations, and overseeing the creation and maintenance of the Hall’s website.
5. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the Executive Director.
6. Contributes to the overall success of the Juanita K. Hammons Hall for the Performing Arts by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Director of Marketing and Promotions is supervised by Executive Director of the Juanita K. Hammons Hall for the Performing Arts, Hammons Student Center, and Plaster Student Center, a Graduate Assistant, and student employees, and makes recommendations which are given particular weight regarding the hiring, firing, advancement, promotion, and other changes of status of those supervised.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED MAY 2007