TITLE University Space Manager/Director, Support Services
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1321
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Vice President for Administrative Services
The University Space Manager/Director of Support Services administers space allocation through the University Space Allocation Advisory Committee, analyzes space needs and provides options, and plans logistics for moves. The University Space Manager/Director of Support Services coordinates the purchase of properties, manages leased space negotiations, lease writing and renewals, leased space renovations, and leased space issues. The University Space Manager/Director of Support Services administers the space management database application, conducts an annual space audit, and prepares square footage and utilization reports for the University, the state of Missouri, and grant-funding agencies. The University Space Manager/Director of Support Services coordinates the preparation of the annual capital appropriations request. The University Space Manager/Director of Support Services coordinates street vacation, right-of-way issues, easements, and contracts related to University property and leased properties. The University Space Manager/Director of Support Services serves as a liaison neighborhood associations surrounding the University and facilitates agreements and special projects with the City of Springfield. The University Space Manager/Director of Support Services oversees the operations and personnel of Printing and Postal Services, coordinates the development of budgets for the Administrative Services division and monitors budget utilization on an ongoing basis. The University Space Manager/Director of Support Services serves as an extension of the Vice President for Administrative Services in terms of communication and coordination, completes special assignments and projects as assigned, represents the Vice President for Administrative Services as assigned at meetings and on committees, and responds to University emergencies in the absence of the Vice President for Administrative Services.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A bachelor’s degree is required with an emphasis in public administration, business administration, management, or a related field is required. A master’s degree is preferred.
Experience: At least five years of progressively responsible administrative experience is required, which includes experience in project management and facilities and space planning. Experience working with community leaders is preferred.
Skills: Effective verbal and written communication skills are required. Demonstrated ability to negotiate with different constituencies, develop consensus among groups with diverse goals, and implement plans of action is required. A record of successful leadership while directing the efforts of professional staff in a complex organization, preferably in higher education, is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required. Database management skills are preferred. The ability to read and interpret technical facilities drawings and related documents is preferred.
Effort: The responsibilities of this position require regular visits to campus facilities, and construction sites.
Other: The nature of the job requires being available to respond to emergencies that may occur during evenings, nights, and weekends.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Chairs the University Space Allocation Advisory Committee and implements space allocation decisions.
2. Reviews space usage requests, develops proposals, coordinates remodeling efforts of Planning, Design & Construction and Facilities Management, and plans relocations.
3. Provides facilities resource planning and space management services by conducting facilities audits, analyzing administrative and academic space utilization, assessing current and future space requirements, and coordinating the rental of facilities and the purchase of properties.
4. Negotiates and manages University rental leases as both Lessee and Lessor, purchase offers, appraisals, contracts, and closings.
5. Coordinates Planning, Design & Construction review and approval of Campus Construction team project estimates and work done by Facilities Maintenance staff in leased properties or in campus facilities being prepared for new occupants.
6. Administers the University’s scheduling and space management database, monitors the classroom scheduling process, implements best practices for space management, maintains square footage information on all owned and leased facilities, and provides square footage and utilization reports to the University, state agencies, and grant-funding organizations.
7. Coordinates street vacation and right-of-way issues, easements, and contracts related to University property and leased properties.
8. Serves as the Administrative Services liaison to the Student Government Association members and the Sustainability Commission, guides processes for student-led initiatives, and implements projects.
9. Serves as University liaison to the neighborhood associations surrounding the University and facilitates agreements and special projects with the City of Springfield.
10. Provides leadership and management of Printing and Postal Services, plans project priorities for the Systems Analyst assigned to Administrative Services, supervises front-office Administrative Services staff, coordinates the Administrative Services budget planning process, and monitors budget utilization.
11. Troubleshoots and resolves issues and completes special projects as assigned by the Vice President for Administrative Services.
12. Responds to University emergencies in the absence of the Vice President for Administrative Services.
13. Facilitates a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
14. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the Vice President for Administrative Services.
15. Contributes to the success of the Administrative Services division by performing all other duties as assigned.
The University Space Manager/Director of Support Services is supervised by the Vice President for Administrative Services and supervises full-time staff.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES