TITLE Sustainability Coordinator
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1311
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director of Environmental Management
The Sustainability Coordinator works collaboratively with administration, faculty, staff, and students to develop, coordinate, and promote effective sustainability initiatives on campus. Responsibilities include educating the University community about sustainability and coordinating campus programming, activities, and projects related to sustainability, promoting sustainability and energy conservation initiatives for departments within the Administrative Services division, supporting sustainability research, and annual reporting.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A bachelor's degree is required. A bachelor's degree in an environmentally-related discipline, communications, sustainability, or an appropriately related field is preferred. An equivalent combination of years of experience and education may be considered for substitution of educational requirements.
Experience: Two and one-half years (thirty months) of experience developing, maintaining, and/or managing sustainability-based initiatives, processes, or programs involving the collection, analysis, and reporting of program data is required. Experience working with sustainability or environmental programs in higher education is preferred.
Skills: Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. The ability to work independently is required. Attention to detail is required. Initiative is required. Analytical and problem-solving skills are required. The ability to work collaboratively with other individuals and volunteer groups is required. The ability to use Microsoft Office Suite to prepare Excel spreadsheets, PowerPoint presentations, and reports is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with and present to those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES1. Works with all aspects of the residential and academic campus community, including students, faculty, and staff to promote an understanding and awareness of sustainability issues by coordinating informational training and presentations and promoting energy and water conservation, waste minimization, recycling, sustainable building and landscape design, alternative transportation, procurement of green products, etc.
2. Serves as liaison between various campus entities to facilitate communication and resource coordination for sustainability programs and projects.
3. Coordinates and compiles University data for the ongoing Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) Sustainability Tracking, Assessment, and Rating System (STARS) self-assessment program, enters data from campus organizations into the STARS reporting tool, and submits the application for STARS certification to AASHE.
4. Supports the Division of Administration and Finance and its departments as appropriate in relation to implementing energy conservation and sustainability programs.
5. Implements and maintains internal sustainability training and programming including, but not limited to sustainability leadership programming for students, and sustainability teams.
6. Creates promotional and educational materials by writing, editing, and designing content for brochures, fliers, bulletin board displays, newsletters, sustainability guides, and training materials. Works with Division of Marketing and Communications staff to promote and communicate sustainability events, practices, and achievements to the broader campus and community audience.
7. Develops and maintains the Missouri State University sustainability website to include information highlighting sustainability actions undertaken at the University, sustainability-related programming and events at the University and surrounding community, curriculum opportunities, resources for individuals interested in sustainable living, information on recycling, and links to other organizations and websites related to sustainability.
8. Assists in defining sustainability goals and tracks performance metrics to assess program effectiveness.
9. Improves the effectiveness of the University’s sustainability practices by monitoring best practices related to sustainability at the University’s benchmark peer institutions and other select institutions and makes recommendations for new sustainability programming and modifications to existing programs.
10. Serves as advisor to the SGA Sustainability Commission for the Student Sustainability Fund, and to the student organization Students for a Sustainable Future.
11. Serves as a member of the Sustainability Advisory Committee and provides updates at the meetings; helps coordinate subcommittee meetings and supports subcommittees in implementing programs/projects in support of STARS.
12. Serves on campus committees as assigned and attends meetings with external organizations to represent the University on sustainability issues.
13. Researches and identifies grant-writing and other funding opportunities in support of expanded campus sustainability efforts. Prepares documentation required for project funding from internal or external funding as appropriate.
14. Works with campus stakeholders to develop or assist in the development of sustainability focused initiatives, which may include topics such as energy conservation, water conservation, waste minimization, recycling, stormwater management, landscape improvements, sustainable transportation, procurement of environmentally friendly products, etc. Stakeholder support may include assistance in developing project details and benefits, and estimated costs.
15. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
16. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed.
17. Supports the overall success of the University’s sustainability efforts by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Sustainability Coordinator is supervised by the Director of Environmental Management and may supervise part-time employees and grant funded full-time staff when directed.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED July 2023