TITLE Assistant Director, McQueary College of Health and Human Services Student Success and Advisement Center
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1278
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director, McQueary College of Health and Human Services Academic Advisement Center/Student Success Specialist
The Assistant Director, McQueary College of Health and Human Services (MCHHS) Student Success and Advisement Center provides professional academic advisement and support to prospective and current students with majors in MCHHS, with a specific emphasis on assisting at-risk and vulnerable student populations. The Assistant Director, MCHHS Student Success and Advisement Center works closely with the Director, MCHHS Academic Advisement Center/Student Success Specialist and staff to achieve Student Success and Advisement Center goals and implement student success initiatives. The Assistant Director, MCHHS Student Success and Advisement Center assists in planning and coordinating recruitment events, workshops, and fairs, utilizes technology and electronic resources for outreach and marketing (Signal Vine, Blackboard, social media, etc.), connects with representatives from high schools, community colleges, and feeder schools to streamline student transitions to the College, and coordinates diversity and inclusion activities for the Center, including providing support to College and University-wide diversity and inclusion initiatives.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Master’s degree is required.
Experience: At least three years of full-time professional academic advising experience is required, where knowledge of federal, state, and higher education policies and procedure have been gained. Experience with outreach, marketing, recruitment, and promotion is preferred. Experience working with at-risk and vulnerable student populations is preferred. Experience working with the majors/programs/pathways fo the McQueary College of Health and Human Services is preferred.
Skill: Extensive knowledge of the University, its academic programs, requirements, and regulations is preferred. Excellent verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills (including conflict management and working with diverse student populations), and organizational and time management skills are required. The ability to learn and follow complex procedures and detailed policies while working with minimal supervision is required. Effective decision-making skills are required. The ability to work effectively and collegially with faculty and staff across all areas of campus is required. A working knowledge of various computer applications and database applications is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures and backgrounds is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides the essential student service of academic advisement by being knowledgeable of academic policies and procedures unique to Missouri State University that facilitate the advisement process.
2. Guides students in academic, professional, and career exploration and decision-making, including helping them explore and understand the consequences of their decisions, develops educational plans that align with students’ life goals, assists all students (not just advisees) seeking academic information about the College, and appropriately refers students to resources within the University that may provide additional assistance (e.g., financial aid, testing, career services, and student employment).
3. Helps to ensure the success of the MCHHS Student Success and Advisement Center by assisting the Director in administration as needed.
4. Assists with the creation and implementation of MCHHS Student Success and Advisement Center initiatives, such as coordinating student outreach, recruitment, retention, and spearheading diversity and inclusion activities that support student success.
5. May assist with new employee selection, orientation, training, and mentorship.
6. May represent the College on various committees and work groups.
7. Assists with the coordination of College efforts related to participation in the Student Orientation, Advisement and Registration program (SOAR).
8. ensures continuity in the management and operation of the MCHHS Student success and Advisement Center by assuming the duties and responsibilities of the Director in his or her absence, when requested.
9. May assist students in developing strong academic skills by teaching or participating in appropriate courses such as GEP 101.
10. Effectively collaborates with the academic units within MCHHS and across the University to help determine the best student success and advisement practices and procedures.
11. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
12. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development conferences, and attending training and/or courses required by the supervisor.
13. Contributes to the overall success of the MCHHS Student Success and Advisement Center by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Assistant Director, MCHHS Student Success and Advisement Center is supervised by the Director, McQueary College of Health and Human Services Academic Advisement Center/Student Success Specialist and assists in the supervision of academic advisors, administrative staff, graduate assistants, and student workers, particularly in the absence of the Director.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES