TITLE Academic Success Coach - West Plains
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1276
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Coordinator, Academic Advisement – West Plains
The Academic Success Coach - West Plains assists assigned students in the development of academic schedules appropriate for their stated educational goals, guides pre-majors in the selection of academic majors, and directs students to resources within the University that provide assistance in making career and/or academic major choices, as appropriate, while fostering the student’s sense of responsibility for his or her academic progress.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor’s degree is required.
Experience: At least one year of academic advising experience is required, where knowledge of federal, state, and higher education policies and procedures has been gained or at least one year of university employment in which a thorough knowledge of academic programs was required. Teaching experience is preferred.
Skills: Excellent verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills (particularly in working with a diverse student population), organizational and management skills are required. A working knowledge of various computer applications is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required. Experience working with database applications is preferred.
Other: The scope of the position occasionally requires work in the evenings and on weekends, especially during the summer STAR sessions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Engages and supports First Generation students through proactive referral to appropriate resources, intrusive interventions, timely reminders, and other targeted individual and group communications using texting, phone calls, voice mail, and social media.
2. Encourages and advocates for students to appropriate campus and community constituencies.
3. Maintains clearly written and comprehensive notes and data on students in electronic files.
4. Provides coaching on an ongoing basis throughout each academic semester, including summer.
5. Provides the essential student service of academic advisement by being knowledgeable of academic policies and procedures unique to Missouri State University – West Plains that facilitate the advisement process, assisting assigned students in the development of academic schedules appropriate for the stated educational goals of students, guiding students in decision-making and learning how to accept responsibility for their decisions, assisting all students, not just advisees, seeking academic information, assisting pre-majors in the selection of academic majors, and directing students to resources within the University that provide assistance in making career and academic major choices.
6. Helps ensure the success of the Student Advising and Registration (STAR)program by complying with the decisions of the STAR committee regarding orientation and registration activities and providing STAR participants with instructions and pertinent information related to the orientation and matriculation of all new students.
7. May assist transfer students with comprehensive information that will promote completion of undecided students in accessing resources to help with career planning and decision-making.
8. Assists the Coordinator, Academic Advisement – West Plains with organizing major projects and events, such as Transfer/Career Fairs, on-campus interviews, etc. and promotes career planning and transfer programs and events by making presentations to classes and student organizations.
9. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
10. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the supervisor.
11. Contributes to the overall success of academic affairs by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Academic Success Coach - West Plains is supervised by the Coordinator, Academic Advisement – West Plains and generally exercises no supervision of others.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES