TITLE Admission Counselor, West Plains
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1260
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Recruitment Specialist
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Coordinator of Admissions
The Admission Counselor, West Plains contributes to the achievement of Missouri State University – West Plains established enrollment and recruitment goals and objectives by representing Missouri State University-West Plains at college fairs and high school/community recruitment visits and counseling prospective students and their parents regarding admission requirements, academic programs, financial aid and scholarships, residence hall, student organizations and activities. The Admission Counselor assists with the development of publications and responds to written, phone, email and in-person inquiries, meets with visiting students and parents , plans activities and events for prospective students/families and high school counselors, establishes and maintains effective communication with high school counselors, students, and community service agencies, assists with the student recruitment/admissions effort as needed, and performs other activities as assigned by the Recruitment Specialist.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: An associate’s degree is required or must be obtained by the date of employment; a bachelor’s degree is preferred.
Experience: No specific work experience is required; however experience with Missouri State University – West Plains’ academic programs, facilities, student activities and organizations, or at least two years of work experience in college admissions and recruitment at a regionally accredited institution, is preferred.
Skills: Excellent verbal and written communications skills and sensitivity to issues related to the recruitment and retention of a diverse student body are required. Effective organizational skills are required. Familiarity with Microsoft Office products is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Effort: This position transports and sets up (unassisted) recruitment and display materials and media equipment. Some data entry and computer work is required.
License: Must have a valid Missouri driver’s license.
Other: The scope of the job requires frequent consecutive overnight and weekend travel primarily during the fall and spring semesters.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Represents Missouri State University – West Plains at college fairs and during high school/community recruitment visits, advises prospective students and their parents regarding admission requirements, academic programs, financial aid and scholarships, residence hall, student organizations and activities, assists with the development of publications used for admissions and recruitment, responds to written, phone, email, and in-person inquiries, and meets with visiting students and parents.
2. Makes formal presentations and plans activities and events, both on- and off-campus, for prospective students/families and high school counselors.
3. Ensures accomplishment of the outreach component of the recruitment plan by assisting with recruitment activities, fulfilling travel responsibilities, and attending college day/night programs and making high school visits.
4. Contributes to the accomplishment of the West Plains campus recruitment and enrollment goals by serving the needs of high school counselors and A+ Coordinators throughout the areas from which Missouri State University – West Plains draws students (primarily the seven-county area), maintaining good communication throughout the school year with high schools, coordinating mailings of materials and updated information to high school counselors as needed, and assisting with the maintenance of the high school database.
5. Assists with special recruitment activities such as Red Carpet Days for high school juniors and seniors and informational programs for high school counselors and A+ Coordinators.
6. Actively recruits students for the extended campuses and works cooperatively with the extended campus coordinators to promote awareness of educational opportunities and initiate recruitment activities and events.
7. Advises supervisory personnel of the progress of ongoing responsibilities by maintaining accurate records of student and high school/community college contacts and preparing reports concerning recruitment and admission activities.
8. Assists with preparation and analysis of management reports as needed, utilizing familiarity with student databases and using query tools.
9. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
10. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training as requested by supervisor.
11. Ensures that miscellaneous assignments are completed in the best interests of the campus by accepting and accomplishing tasks which are delegated by the Recruitment Specialist.
The Admission Counselor, West Plains is supervised by the Recruitment Specialist. during periods of travel, the Admission Counselor operates with limited supervision and exercises self-direction under prescribed guidelines.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED APRIL 2018