TITLE Public Relations Specialist, West Plains
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1249
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Director of University Communications
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Director of University Communications
The Public Relations Specialist gathers and disseminates Missouri State University – West Plains news to the news media and helps develop and implement public relations activities to promote the various aspects of the University. The Public Relations Specialist also contributes to the production of various print and online materials.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or a related area is required.
Experience: Either one year of relevant professional public relations writing experience or a minimum of three semesters experience in a part-time position in a similar professional setting is required. Experience working in college or university public relations office is preferred.
Skills: Must possess excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills; proven ability to write quickly and clearly. Organizational and planning skills are required. Knowledge of word processing is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required. Experience in Web Page maintenance preferred.
Other: The scope of the job requires some evening and weekend work and occasional traveling.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Promotes a positive image of the Missouri State University – West Plains by preparing and disseminating news stories to area news media. Stories include feature articles on academic programs and student and faculty/staff achievement.
2. Helps promote the Missouri State University – West Plains to alumni, donor and community audiences by preparing news releases for the development office on friend-raising events, major donations and feature stories for the alumni newsletter.
3. Supports the Grizzly Athletic program and the University/Community Programs by developing and disseminating a wide variety of news stories focusing on the basketball, volleyball, booster club and University/Community Programs events throughout the year.
4. Expands the public’s perception of Missouri State University – West Plains by developing articles for the local newspaper.
5. Communicates student successes by distributing news stories announcing graduates, scholarship recipients, and Chancellor’s List and Dean’s List recipients.
6. Promotes internal communication by developing the monthly Campus Connection and weekly Take Note email messages to West Plains faculty and staff.
7. Assists with developing and editing copy for publications, other communications pieces and electronic media.
8. Provides quality photographs for Missouri State University – West Plains publications by taking campus photographs, as needed.
9. Facilitates the operation of the Office of University Communications by helping to train and supervise student employees and editing and approving the work of student staff.
10. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
11. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, maintaining a current knowledge of desktop publishing, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as required by the designated supervisor.
12. Contributes to the overall success of the department by performing other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Public Relations Specialist, West Plains is supervised by the Director of University Communications, accepts input from client departments, and assists in supervising student employees.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED FEBRUARY 2017