TITLE Associate Vice-Chancellor for University Communications - West Plains
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1240
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Chancellor
The Associate Vice-Chancellor for University Communications – West Plains is the chief public relations and marketing officer for Missouri State University - West Plains. The Associate Vice-Chancellor for University Communications is responsible for developing and implementing public relations programs in support of the mission of Missouri State University – West Plains, providing public relations counsel to the Chancellor and other campus officials, and developing and supporting the University’s marketing efforts. The Associate Vice-Chancellor for University Communications is responsible for the coordination of activities that expand and enhance the image of the campus. Those activities include the following areas: community relations, internal communications, marketing, news services, web content, electronic media, and publications.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, public relations, marketing or a relevant field is required. A master’s degree is preferred.
Experience: A minimum of five years of experience in public relations practice, preferably with management experience is required. This experience should be in one or more of these areas of public relations: media relations, news and information, publications, or sports information. Experience in the use of current marketing practices is required. Experience in a college setting is preferred. Experience with and/or understanding of electronic media and web development is preferred.
Skills: Strong verbal and written communications skills are required. Strong skills in designing a marketing strategy is required. Demonstrated management skills in areas such as goal setting, staff supervision and evaluation and budgeting are required. Computer literacy is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: Scope of the job frequently requires some travel, working evenings and/or weekends, and attending events in the evening and/or weekend.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES1. Provides leadership and vision for the campus’s strategic and integrated marketing and communications functions that reflect the goals and mission of the university.
2. Ensures that the central administration is aware of the implications of a variety of issues by providing public relations counsel to the Chancellor and other campus officials.
3. Develops and implements action plans to meet the campus’s public relations needs by understanding the campus’s mission and goals and identifying public relations needs associated with the mission and goals.
4. Leads and directs the marketing, web and social media content, communications and public relations staff, and coordinates at the strategic and tactical levels with all University departments.
5. Ensures the quality of the University Communications department’s operation by recruiting and hiring qualified applicants, providing training in departmental operations and individual duties, assigning work projects as appropriate, supervising work activities including news releases and publications, and providing evaluation of work performance.
6. Plans and manages a comprehensive public information program through the media including feature stories, news releases, and public service announcements to promote academic programs, events, faculty/staff appointments, and other newsworthy activities.
7. Supervises and monitors publications operations, including pre-production aspects of catalogs, brochures, and specialized publications.
8. Ensures accuracy and consistency in all campus publications produced by the office by establishing standards for writing style, copy development and design, and encouraging other departments throughout the campus to comply with the same standards and guidelines.
9. Communicates the campus’s position and policies on a variety of issues to specific media and to various campus constituencies by serving as the Missouri State University – West Plains contact person with the media; as appropriate, developing position papers and background materials for the Chancellor; and develops and maintains relationships with area media representatives.
10. Represents the Office of University Communications by chairing and serving on various campus committees.
11. Ensures fiscally sound operation of the University Communications department by exercising management practices which results in operating within allocated budget.
12. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
13. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues and attendance at professional development conferences/workshops and related activities.
14. Contributes to the overall success of the campus by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned the by the Chancellor.
The Associate Vice-Chancellor for University Communications reports to the Missouri State University -West Plains Chancellor and supervises the public relations specialist, graphic designer, social media specialist, web and media services specialist, administrative assistant, and student workers.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCESREVISED AUGUST 2022