TITLE Director, Development and Annual Giving - West Plains
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1237
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Vice President for University Advancement
The Director of Development and Annual Giving - West Plains works directly with the Vice President for University Advancement and Assistant Vice President of Development Strategy to identify, cultivate, and solicit potential donors and grow philanthropic participation for the institution. The Director also works closely with Advancement leadership, University administration, and appropriate faculty on campus to support the philanthropic strategic mission.
This role collaboratively works with the Director of Prospect Management and Research in determining which donors and prospects in their portfolio (consisting of alumni, friends, parents, businesses, foundations, and organizations) to approach based on research and other criteria. This collaborative effort, which may include the Chancellor and others from time to time, also assists in determining how to approach each potential donor, whether the potential donor would be more receptive to a formal written proposal or a verbal proposal, discussing options for potential outright and/or estate gifts, ways of giving, negotiating the policies and procedures for administration of their gifts, determining when travel to meet with donors is appropriate, exercising budgetary authority over the their travel and development budget, etc.
This position also works collaboratively with the Executive Director of Engagement and Alumni Relations and the Director of Annual Funds in creating, managing, and implementing, a successful annual giving program for the MSU West Plains campus. The position will coordinate and manage projects within the MSU West Plains annual giving program, including direct solicitation through mail and social media, digital and web-based solicitations, and marketing to raise funds for University priorities.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Bachelor’s degree is required. An equivalent combination of years of experience and education may be considered for substitution of education requirements.
Experience: At least three years of successful professional experience is required, preferably in higher education fundraising or alumni relations.
Skills: Exceptional interpersonal skills are required. Outstanding verbal and written communication skills are required, with excellent public speaking skills. Writing, editing, and proofreading skills are required. Demonstrated ability to work effectively with volunteers is required. Must be a self-starter, detail-oriented, and committed to follow through. Computer literacy, particularly in word processing and using internet resources, social media, and databases is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: The job frequently requires travel and attendance at evening and weekend activities, meetings, events, seminars, and workshops.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES1. Assures long-term financial support for Missouri State University – West Plains’ priorities by identifying, cultivating, and soliciting donors and prospective donors for major and planned gifts, managing a rated prospect list of at least 75 donors and prospective donors, and developing cultivation and solicitation for prospects.
2. With the Assistant Vice President of Development Strategy , and the input of the Chancellor of the West Plains campus, develops and follows an annual work plan that encompasses major giving and annual giving fundraising and professional development.
3. With the Assistant Vice President of Development Strategy, works to achieve metrics and goals of major gift fundraising as per Missouri State University Foundation development office standards.
4. Works with the Director of Prospect Management and Research to develop a pipeline of qualified major gift prospects and how to organize pipeline management.
5. Prepares for professional and donor appointments by working collaboratively with the Assistant Vice President of Development Strategy and the Director of Prospect Management and Research and establishing and maintaining professional competency and currency in the field of university development work through professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, attending training and/or courses, and maintaining appropriate professional memberships in organizations such as the Council for Advancement and Support of Education and the Association of Fundraising Professionals.
6. Enters detailed contact reports, strategic plans, and proposals for donors and prospects into the contact management tracking system in a timely manner in accordance with the policies and procedures of the MSU Foundation Office of Development.
7. Under the guidance of the Director of Annual Funds, develops, implements, and supervises MSU West Plains’ Annual Giving programs, including mail, social media, and digital solicitations.
8. Plans, executes, and ensures achievement of established goals for all annual funds campaigns, which include direct marketing, specialized campaigns on behalf of specific programs or departments, the Faculty/Staff campaign, address label mailing, and other campaign efforts as needed.
9. Drives programs and campaigns to increase participation of alumni, friends, and students in giving to provide a growing base of donors to support the University.
10. Analyzes qualitative and quantitative data from multiple sources to drive continuously improved campaign performance.
11. Develops measurable goals and metrics to monitor the impact of annual giving activities on the success of donor acquisition and retention.
12. With the Director of Annual Funds, establishes and maintains tracking and testing methods for all solicitation initiatives and adjust strategies based on the results of data analysis.
13. Plans and executes crowdfunding efforts and electronic solicitations through targeted segmentations to achieve annual goals.
14. Utilizes technology and social media to create and implement innovative annual giving programs to connect with current donors, establish new donors, and increase annual giving.
15. Develops plans and programs for new fundraising initiatives, such as a day of giving, etc.
16. Works closely with alumni and donor relations staff to communicate with alumni regarding annual funds, giving opportunities, recognition of donors, and assists with event promotion as needed.
17. Manages budgets, supervises an administrative staff person and volunteers, and ensures their work activities are integrated with the mission of Missouri State University, Missouri State University – West Plains, and the MSU Foundation.
18. Creates annual report briefings for the Assistant Vice President of Development Strategy, Executive Director of Engagement and Alumni Relations, and the Chancellor by synthesizing the data from reports produced by the Foundation.
19. Assures donor confidentiality, as well as confidentiality regarding projects undertaken, by conducting all personal contacts and communications in a professional manner.
20. Facilitates the achievement of established goals by developing and maintaining cordial and professional working relationships with University administrative, support, and professional staff, and appropriate off-campus constituencies.
21. Plans and coordinates MSU – West Plains development activities by utilizing industry best practices and follows the annual work plan as developed with the MSU Foundation Development Office and in collaboration with the Chancellor.
22. In collaboration with the Foundation in Springfield, assists with coordinating donor recognition events to provide stewardship to donors of the MSU West Plains campus.
23. Attends alumni events and reunions during Homecoming by working with the Executive Director of Engagement and Alumni Relations and members of the MSU West Plains Development Office.
24. Assists in website functions and duties related to Major Giving, Planned Giving and Annual Giving.
25. Assumes lead responsibility with fundraising events for the MSU West Plains Grizzley Booster Club and their Golf Tournament, Women in Philanthropy, and the Friends of the Garnett Library.
26. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
27. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the Vice President of University Advancement.
28. Contributes to the success of Missouri State University West Plains by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The Director of Development and Annual Giving - MSU West Plains campus is supervised by Vice President for University Advancement; position supervises Administrative Assistant and multiple student workers.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED JUNE 2022