TITLE Recruitment Specialist, West Plains
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1229
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Coordinator of Admissions
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Dean of Student Services
The Recruitment Specialist, West Plains helps to achieve established enrollment and recruitment goals and objectives by developing a competent recruitment staff, establishing and maintaining effective communication with high school counselors and students, coordinating the college day/night programs and high school visits, assisting with the development of publications and personal correspondence for prospective and admitted students, developing and maintaining the Admission website, organizing and supervising the campus visit program for prospective students, and working alongside the recruitment staff in assuring completion of essential tasks, such as, assisting with admissions effort as needed and performing other activities as assigned by the Coordinator of Admissions.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: An associate’s degree is required; a bachelor’s degree is preferred.
Experience: At least one year of experience in college admissions and recruitment is preferred and is required if candidate does not have a bachelor’s degree. Experience with Missouri State University – West Plains’ academic programs, facilities, student activities and organizations, or at least two years of work experience in college admissions and recruitment at a regionally accredited institution, is preferred.
Skills: Excellent oral and written communications skills and sensitivity to issues related to the recruitment and retention of a diverse student body are required. Excellent organizational skills are required. Effective supervisory skills are required. Must have the ability to motivate employees to meet established goals and objectives. Computer skills are required. Database knowledge is preferred. Web development proficiency is preferred.
Effort: Requires the abilities to transport recruitment materials weighing 25 – 50 pounds. Some data entry and computer work is required.
Other: Scope of the job requires occasional travel with occasional overnight and weekend travel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Coordinates the student recruitment effort at Missouri State University – West Plains by ensuring representation at college fairs, high school/community recruitment visits, advising prospective students and their parents regarding admission requirements, academic programs, financial aid, scholarships, residence hall, and student organizations and activities, assisting with the development of publications used for admissions and recruitment, responding to written, phone, email, and in-person inquiries, and meeting with visiting students and parents.
2. Makes formal presentations and plans activities and events, both on- and off-campus, for prospective students/families and high school counselors.
3. Ensures accomplishment of the outreach component of the recruitment plan by planning recruitment activities, directing travel responsibilities, and coordinating college day/night programs and high school visits.
4. Contributes to the accomplishment of the West Plains campus recruitment and enrollment goals by serving the needs of high school counselors and A+ Coordinators throughout the areas from which Missouri State University – West Plains draws students (primarily the seven-county area), maintaining good communication throughout the school year with high schools, coordinating mailings of materials and updated information to high school counselors as needed, and maintaining the high school database.
5. Coordinates special recruitment activities such as Red Carpet Days for high school juniors and seniors and informational programs for high school counselors and A+ Coordinators.
6. Advises supervisory personnel of the progress of ongoing responsibilities by monitoring and maintaining accurate records of student and high school/community college contacts and preparing reports concerning recruitment and admission activities.
7. Provides and analyzes information for management purposes by producing reports as needed, utilizing familiarity with student databases and using query tools.
8. Selects, trains, and supervises the Admission Counselor.
9. Selects and develops an effective public relations team of Missouri State University – West Plains students by serving as advisor to the Student Ambassador organization, being actively involved with Ambassador selection and training, and providing advisement and assistance regarding organizational functions and services.
10. Coordinates, organizes, and supervises the campus visit program for prospective students by selecting and training Student Ambassadors and evaluating the effectiveness of the campus tour program through interviews with participants.
11. Responsible for recruitment, admission, financial aid, advisement and registration of Missouri Sheriffs’ Association Training Academy applicants.
12. Maintains competency and professional currency through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training as requested by supervisor.
13. Ensures that miscellaneous assignments are completed in the best interests of the campus by accepting and accomplishing tasks which are delegated by the Coordinator of Admissions.
The Recruitment Specialist, West Plains is supervised by the Coordinator of Admissions and supervises the Admission Counselor and Student Ambassadors. The Recruitment Specialist operates with limited supervision and exercises self-direction under prescribed guidelines.