TITLE Veterans Incentive Program (VIP) Project Coordinator
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1204
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Varies by campus
The VIP Project Coordinator recruits military veterans to attend Missouri State University, prepares and assists veterans starting or completing college degrees for educational success, and identifies and develops community support resources for veterans. The VIP Project Coordinator conducts personal needs assessments with veterans to develop a written plan of action designed to eliminate barriers to successful completion of their educational objectives.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in counseling, student guidance, public administration, social work, or a related field is required.
Experience: At least two years of full-time, successful work experience in student financial aid, veteran’s affairs, academic advisement, or other experience directly related to the duties of the position is preferred. Experience in maintaining client files and records and tracking client progress is required.
Skills: Active listening skills are required; must have the ability to demonstrate compassion and professionalism. Excellent communication skills are required. Strong presentation and public relations skills are required. Preference will be given to veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces or individuals from a population underrepresented at the University. The ability to relate to veterans and their needs is required. Must be knowledgeable of career options and have the ability to discuss career options with clients. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Helps to ensure the academic success of veterans starting or completing degrees by creating a written plan of action for academic success for each veteran based on an individual needs assessment.
2. Maintains contact with VIP participants for individual advising and personal development activities by coordinating the implementation of action plans for each participant, monitoring, evaluating, and reporting on participant academic progress, intervening with appropriate support services when necessary, and referring to appropriate on and off-campus support services as needed.
3. Provides information on career options to clients and coordinates with the Career Center in providing career information and assistance.
4. Develops a mechanism to track college entry rates, retention rates, graduation rates, use of support services, and demographic information of veterans, maintains the database, and monitors progress toward University and Department of Education goals.
5. Contributes to the achievement of University enrollment and recruitment goals and objectives by developing marketing and recruitment strategies for military veterans, coordinating, implementing, and evaluating a plan for the recruitment of military veterans, and representing Missouri State University and VIP at various recruitment events and college recruitment visits.
6. Identifies the support needs of student-veterans, identifies, develops, and maintains relationships with community resources and partners that can meet the unique needs of veterans, monitors student-veterans use of resources, and seeks and compiles feedback from veterans regarding the helpfulness of community resources and partners.
7. Creates, coordinates, implements, and evaluates personal development workshops and activities for VIP participants, faculty, and staff.
8. Supervises full-time administrative support staff.
9. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
10. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, maintaining professional contact with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as directed by the supervisor.
11. Supports the overall success of Veterans Services by performing all other duties as assigned.
The VIP Project Coordinator is supervised by the designated supervisor and may supervise full-time administrative support staff if assigned.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED APRIL 2022