TITLE Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs - Multicultural Services
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1199
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Vice President for Student Affairs
The primary duty of the Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs - Multicultural Services is to provide leadership and support for the establishment and administration of multicultural student recruiting initiatives and the development and administration of departments and programs that serve the needs of multicultural and diverse student populations.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Master’s degree is required; a terminal degree is preferred.
Experience: Five years of experience in minority student recruitment, multicultural student affairs, support services, counseling, or program development targeted to diverse student populations which demonstrates a record of accomplishment and increasing responsibilities is required. Successful experience in developing and maintaining relationships with diverse organizations and political groups is preferred.
Skills: Management skills in the selection and supervision of professional, clerical, and student employees, in the development of programming, goals and objectives, and in decision making are required. Strong verbal and written communication skills are required. Excellent interpersonal skills are required. Awareness and sensitivity to the issues related to the recruitment and retention of underrepresented students are required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides supervision and oversight of Access Programs, Transition and Support (BEARS L.E.A.D), Disability Resource Center, TRIO programs, and Multicultural Programs, including LGBTQ+ Resource Center and maintains oversight of both multicultural spaces.
2. Initiates, plans, and coordinates special events sponsored by Student Affairs, such as Diversity Training, Academic Support Initiatives, Multicultural Services Graduation Ceremony/Reception, Student Transition Education Program (STEP), Belong B-Q, and the Youth Empowerment Summit.
3. Provides leadership within the Division of Student Affairs by serving on the Vice President’s Staff, Student Affairs Leadership Team, and other committees as assigned.
4. Facilitates the Inclusive Excellence program for all recipients of the Inclusive Excellence Scholarship, Inclusive Excellence Leadership Scholarship, and the Multicultural Leadership Scholarship.
5. Seeks to collaborate with the University community as it relates to initiatives for all students with an emphasis on the University’s multicultural and diverse student populations.
6. Facilitates a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
7. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses required by the Vice President for Student Affairs.
8. Supports the overall success of the Division of Student Affairs by performing all other duties assigned.
The Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs - Multicultural Services is supervised by the Vice President for Student Affairs and supervises full time, part time, graduate assistants, and student employees.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED JANUARY 2020