TITLE Coordinator, Multicultural Programs/LGBT Student Services
CLASSIFICATION NUMBER 1187
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Executive Director, Multicultural Programs
MAJOR ADMINISTRATOR Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs
The Coordinator, Multicultural Programs/LGBT Student Services supports the Executive Director, Multicultural Programs in creating a more diverse campus and developing retention strategies for underrepresented students. The Coordinator, Multicultural Programs/LGBT Student Services assesses student needs and develops programs and services regarding sexual orientation and gender identity.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education: A Bachelor’s degree is required; a Master’s degree is preferred.
Experience: One year of direct experience working with the LGBT community, preferably in a higher education setting, is preferred. Experience working with students and/or multicultural issues is preferred. Experience in program development and implementation is preferred. Experience with student development and supervision is preferred.
Skills: A broad understanding of sexual orientation and gender identity issues is required. A demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity is required. Effective interpersonal, organizational, verbal, and written communication skills are required. Public presentation skills are required. The ability to implement and evaluate programming for a diverse community is required. The ability to maintain timely and effective communication through email and telephone in a professional manner is required. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
Other: Some travel and evening and weekend work is required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Supports the Executive Director, Multicultural Programs in creating a more diverse campus and develops retention strategies for underrepresented students.
2. Plans and organizes assigned heritage and history month programs, including cultural entertainment and educational programs open to campus and community members.
3. Develops and facilitates social justice educational programs for students, faculty, and staff in coordination with the Office of Student Engagement and the Center for Academic Success and Transition.
4. Develops leadership development opportunities in collaboration with the Office of Student Engagement.
5. Manages the marketing activities for Multicultural Programs, including social media, graphic design, and website.
6. Serves as an advisor to student organizations, trains facilitators for support groups, and supervises practicum students.
7. Assesses student needs and develops programs and services regarding sexual orientation and gender identity.
8. Serves as an advocate on behalf of students.
9. Makes recommendations on policies and procedures to increase inclusion on campus.
10. Collects and compiles data on activities of the Office of Multicultural Programs to ensure consistency in practices, inclusiveness in planning, and equity in services.
11. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
12. Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as required by the supervisor.
13. Supports the overall success of Multicultural Programs by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Coordinator, Multicultural Programs/LGBT Student Services is supervised by the Executive Director, Multicultural Programs and may supervise student employees.
OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES
REVISED MAY 2018